AMMO Shortage

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm
Well, so far the extreme ammo shortage continues and has spread to common hunting rounds as well. I search each night looking for the rounds i like and so far have not had any luck in many weeks getting any more ammo. I found a couple of boxes of .410 slugs for my farm gun but that is about it.

Now those states coming up with their own gun control laws are being boycotted by 44 gun and ammo manufactures for guns, ammo and accessories, including to Law Enforcement. Not to mention that will zero out any Pittman - Robinson monies for their states, which in most cases funds their wildlife departments.
Making a Difference For Wildlife, One Acre At A Time
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:34 pm
Trenchgun wrote:Well, so far the extreme ammo shortage continues and has spread to common hunting rounds as well. I search each night looking for the rounds i like and so far have not had any luck in many weeks getting any more ammo. I found a couple of boxes of .410 slugs for my farm gun but that is about it.

Now those states coming up with their own gun control laws are being boycotted by 44 gun and ammo manufactures for guns, ammo and accessories, including to Law Enforcement. Not to mention that will zero out any Pittman - Robinson monies for their states, which in most cases funds their wildlife departments.

Thanks for the nice words, trench. It is getting crazy, I can't get anything right now. Target loads are even hard to come by right now.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 pm
I found that I had an unused box of Winchester .357mag Silvertips. I am going to put them out on Gunbroker to sell as I am raising up the cash to buy one more 1948 Ithaca 37 16ga. I sold my .357's (can't shoot hard kicking handguns due to a severe hand injury). I figure now would be a good time to sell them, plus they are a decent load to boot.

There is(was) still a box or 2 of Remington 16ga shells at the local Dick's. I probably should get another box or 2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm
Hi Jim, It will really start to affect the target ranges and trap / skeet and sporting events. People are not going to be willing to shoot off what little they might have. Still searching for ammo for our Sheriff's Office to qualify as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:09 pm
Yes DRcook, if you can find the ammo, get it. I picked up 4 boxes of 16GA slugs just to have them on the farm. Also good time to trade out the guns you cannot shoot with, prices are very high for good guns. The .357 is a hand full, I use low grain loads to practice (Colt Trooper Mark 111) but having a hand issue is a real bummer. I have a 1945 Ithaca Model 37 16 that was my Dad's, which started my Ithaca collecting by the way.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 pm
Went to a smaller gun show over the weekend, was still pretty packed. Popular pistol/rifle/shotgun ammo still high... the worst there was a 550 pack of .22LR for $240. :lol: The two I have I swear I paid around $30 for at the local store. $9 boxes of 22 rounds of .223 for $30, $13 boxes of 50 of 9mm for $40. It is out there if in a major bind or if you have more money than sense.

Hang onto what you have...this had become just plain silly.
Insert comical quip here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:44 pm
Hit man, I agree with you.
I was at the Richmond, Va. gun show Sunday. The only 22LR ammo I saw were cartons of 550 rounds (11 boxes) of Federals for $60.00. And they were selling! And you say some guy in Texas was asking $240!??? :roll: I didn't check on prices for centerfire or shotgun ammo.
I've seen this type of thing before, although never quite this bad. But I think the panic will pass, the manufacturers will catch up and things will return more or less to normal.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm
As of today, April 1, still the same supply shortage situation for the most part.
The sickening reality of the un-SAFE ACT is here. It seems there is no telling when the ammo supply will return to normal.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 am
It's not just ammo, it's also reloading components, presses, dies, and even bullet molds. I'm waiting several months for a LEE 18 cavity buckshot mold! I have a two cavity, but it's painfully slow. I'm glad I have a .69 round ball mold and a slug mold, or I would be waiting for those also!

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:48 pm
I (unfortunately) live in NY, just got my pistol permit (16 months), went out and bought two handguns only to find it UNBELIEVEABLY difficult to find ammo for them!! One is a 9mm luger, the other is 40 S&W. Did eventually find some online, but was going FAST. (not to mention kinda pricey.)
Now with CT getting in on the "panic attack" it's only get worse. :x
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 am
No change here on the ammo front, I have seen some arms dropping a hair in price and oddities becoming available.

Local Walmart's ammo cases are full of dust and the few things in there are some rifle cartridges. I needed to pick up some for my Weatherby anyway, so grabbed a few.

http://armsbot.com/

Guy on a Keltec site I am on made that, works well...just impossible to find anything there too. :lol:
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 pm
hmm
on a whim I stopped and checked an nearby ammo spot
walked out with a case of 12g and 2 of 20g.
I left a case of 12 and 20 behind too.

i'm not gonna worry till I got nothing to shoot ,
I got plenty of new rounds still and that's not counting reloads
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:18 pm
davemoe wrote:Now with CT getting in on the "panic attack" it's only get worse. :x

Malloy needs to get the boot....same with everyone who voted for that bs e-cert bill.
Former Admin

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:36 pm
ripjack13 wrote:
davemoe wrote:Now with CT getting in on the "panic attack" it's only get worse. :x

Malloy needs to get the boot....same with everyone who voted for that bs e-cert bill.

I dont know about Malloy, but Cuomo definately needs to be shown the door!!! Along with his cronies that shoved this pos "nysafe act" down our throats!!!!!! Ohh but dont worry .... "we fixed it so that the police can legally carry more than seven rounds"...what a joke!!!! Just remember Coumos name when it comes time for the next presidential election....and DONT VOTE FOR HIM!!!!!!(remember...he started this whole thing)
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 pm
I'll be interested in seeing political upheaving of the reps who voted yes. There's a change coming....and not the one Obummer thinks...
Former Admin
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:16 am
All you New Yorkers need to call the state police and report 1 lost .22 cartridge, EVERY DAY. if enough shooters did this, the entire system would melt down.
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:All you New Yorkers need to call the state police and report 1 lost .22 cartridge, EVERY DAY. if enough shooters did this, the entire system would melt down.

.22 cartridge???? whats that?? I cant find them or even any 9mm rounds anymore!!
They think they can put us down with either bad legislation or they are just gonna buy up all the ammo and create a fake shortage to put the price tag out of the reach of most of us!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:07 am
There is plenty of .22 ammo just look on gunbroker. The only shortage is of money to pay for it. I can't believe the prices they ask. Hope those boys choke on the stuff.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:11 am
rex wrote:There is plenty of .22 ammo just look on gunbroker. The only shortage is of money to pay for it. I can't believe the prices they ask. Hope those boys choke on the stuff.

Same here, those people irritate me. Even worse, when you can tell it was just purchased up the street at your sporting goods store and tossed online to sell. :roll:

Oh well, I keep looking and rarely find stuff... last time in the wild I found anything, was six boxes of some 5.56. Two guys were there JUST after me so, being nice, I bought two and let them duke it out for the rest. :lol:

PILES of rifle and a fair amount of shotgun stuff around.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:04 am
I do not like the gouging. I refuse to engage in it. I understand supply and demand very well, but this is just gouging.

Shotgun ammo is not much better. My club just put a one case per day limit on shells and a one brick per day limit on primers. I'm reloading 20 gauge because it is either that or wait for the dribs and drabs to come in.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 am
i'm not having a problem finding shotgun ammo

I currently have 2-1/2 cases of 12g and 2 cases of 20.
every time i'm in the area and stopped by the store they have 2 cases of both 12 &20g on the shelves
i'll grab a case of what I need and move on without hoarding.

they have however gone up in price $1 a box
even with the price hike its still more convenient to buy rather then reload.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:32 pm
I haven't bought any factory ammo since 2007, and that was a few cases of PMC Side Winder .22lr. on sale and on a hunch that I might need it for a rainy day. It's been pouring since Nov. 2008!
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:52 am
twistedoak wrote:i'm not having a problem finding shotgun ammo

I currently have 2-1/2 cases of 12g and 2 cases of 20.
every time i'm in the area and stopped by the store they have 2 cases of both 12 &20g on the shelves
i'll grab a case of what I need and move on without hoarding.

they have however gone up in price $1 a box
even with the price hike its still more convenient to buy rather then reload.

I go through nearly a case a week in the summer. I generally have 4 cases of 20 on hand and I am down to my last 1/2 case. With a ration of 1 case per order, not much I can do except reload.
--Jim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:13 pm
Ammo has begun a re-appearance, except .22s, here in MO handgun is opening up at Wal-Mart, .223 is coming way down in price and shotshell is not an issue save some popular trap and skeet are not stable yet. Hunting rounds in rifle are stocking up, slugs and buckshot are well stocked. Some catalog houses are still gouging so be careful where you buy.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 am
Trenchgun wrote:Ammo has begun a re-appearance, except .22s, here in MO handgun is opening up at Wal-Mart, .223 is coming way down in price and shotshell is not an issue save some popular trap and skeet are not stable yet. Hunting rounds in rifle are stocking up, slugs and buckshot are well stocked. Some catalog houses are still gouging so be careful where you buy.

Similar to my parts here in Texas... but, I did buy a 1400rd bucket of .22LR for $70 or so at Gander here about a month back. They had about 10-12 on the shelf, did not feel the need to panic buy, nor be 'that guy' so only ended up with the one bucket. 1400 will last a long time just plinking with my bolt action or the AR7.

Walmart only has shotgun and rifle. Rarely a box of pistol. Local sporting goods stores have a decent selection of pistol stuff.

Loaders such as Corbon are usually a bit behind, but do not say no to orders.

Pick up a box here and there since it is starting to trickle back out. This will not be the last time this happens.
Previous

Return to Ammunition