Mag 10 Reliability

1974-1987

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 am
Want to get a Mag-10 for some goose hunting and just to have one too. I like to collect Ithaca guns but also like to use them. How reliable is a them Mag-10 as far as breaking down. I don't want to buy one and have it break under use. Since parts are veryt scarce and no longer made. Thanks.
1983 M37 Deerslayer w/ Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x32
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 am
well here my take ,but take it as a grain of salt as i'm not an expert on these guns.

i have a mag10 32"full however shooting it is another story ..
its just too much gun to be shot at my club.

from what i hear its a solid platform with no real inate problems.
if there is one ,i hear extractors brought up from time to time.

my feelings are that like ithacas other semi ,,the m51
if you change the internal buffers and keep good action springs in it , it should be ok.

i've never discussed mag 10s with him , but less at diamondgunsmithing most likely has parts needed

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 pm
The mag 10 was a good enough gun for Remington to buy the manufacturing rights. Remington introduced the gun as the SP 10 I believe. Not sure how compatible the Remington parts are in the Ithaca however there are Ithaca parts out there.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:31 am
Thanks guys just the info I needed. All I need now is a little more time.
1983 M37 Deerslayer w/ Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x32

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:28 am
28 years of hard field use pursuing deer, turkey, waterfowl and varmit.
Not one problem, period!
Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:10 pm
I purchased a new Ithaca Mag10 the first year they went into production. The gun was a great gun but it would hardly fire three shells at the same time without failing to feed another shell. I started to drill out the gas port with number drills at a very slow rate on increasing drill size until it would function well. It then started to break parts. Mainly the bar that connects the bolt to the rear spring in the stock. I purchased several of them from Ithaca. During those days Ithaca went belly up. I finally spoke to a man in their service dept. after about a year and sent the gun to them. They replaced the barrel at my expense. The firing and function of that early gun was not still 100%. I later purchased another one. My wife and I went to the shot show in Houston many years ago and met a gentleman that worked in Ithaca service. I actually agreed to replace my wood with very pretty supreme wood at no charge and also purchased a bunch of spare parts which I used very little of. I have since sold the gun. (stupid me). :( Contact me if you are interested in the parts.

During a goose hunting trip to the eastern shore of MD. The gun broke. I hand delivered it to a well known repair shop in MD. The added a HD spring kit and I also hand delivered the barrel to a good friend in Richmond, VA. that did custom work to barrels. He lengthened both forcing cones and bored the barrel and did his magic to the choke. This was in the days of lead BBs & T shot for geese. After all this work I must tell you this gun would kill geese at distances that I dare to brag about. I was not a sky buster but was good at tall geese. Those days are over with steel shot.

ALSO: there are 3 distinct models of the old mag10.

1 model had gas port that seemed to not allow enough gas to jam back the bolt.

1 model performed flawlessly with no breakage.

1 model performed flawlessly but broke parts regular.
MagTen
Tarheel State
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:14 pm
1977cutcher wrote:The mag 10 was a good enough gun for Remington to buy the manufacturing rights. Remington introduced the gun as the SP 10 I believe.

You are correct, it is the SP-10. Remington discontinued making them last year.
Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 pm
Mag Ten -

What was that about three versions of the Mag 10?

I just picked up two Mag 10's, a beautiful Supreme to look at or carry in the corn fields and a matte finish version that left the factory choked, that I will actually take in the sneak boat with me.

Can all the ports that are too small and bad parts be "fixed"?

Thanks,

Tony
Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm
tonycscott wrote:Mag Ten -

What was that about three versions of the Mag 10?

I just picked up two Mag 10's, a beautiful Supreme to look at or carry in the corn fields and a matte finish version that left the factory choked, that I will actually take in the sneak boat with me.

Can all the ports that are too small and bad parts be "fixed"?

Thanks,

Tony

There was a standard, deluxe and Supreme. I have a bunch of spare parts if you are interested. PM me.
MagTen
Tarheel State

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:52 pm
Hi Mag Ten: I'm new on the Forum. I have a chance to purchase a somewhat worn Mag-10 that may need some parts. I don't see a way to PM, so how can I reach you? Thanks, Ed
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 pm
EdS wrote:Hi Mag Ten: I'm new on the Forum. I have a chance to purchase a somewhat worn Mag-10 that may need some parts. I don't see a way to PM, so how can I reach you? Thanks, Ed

Hover of his user name and it will drop down with a PM option.
Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:50 pm
yes mag10 how do we pm i also do not see a place for pms all that comes up is his profile.

and wats the differnce in the 3 stantard,dluxe,supreme

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:18 pm
Hey Mag Ten, I am interested in the parts you have. How do I contact you?

Thanks

Jimmy

Return to Mag 10