Calling all southerners

Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:28 am
Surely I'm not the only one here. Anybody else out there? I'm in south central KY, in the Bowling Green, Glasgow area. I'd love to hear from any others here in the region.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:44 am
I'm on the other side of the Mason Dixon! Just replied to the Ohio thread! It would be cool to meet up during bird season!!!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:52 am
Hi, Colonel!
Like Rossignol, I'm from north of the river, too.
Just got back from a trip to your area last week. Spent the night in Russell Springs. Love that they have a skeet club right on the main road!
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 pm
Hey BP, you were just about 45 mins. or so away from me. I have a guy at church who is an avid trap shooter. He goes to Russell Springs pretty often to shoot trap. I need to get up there and shoot skeet one day. I've never shot skeet in my life. I sure would like too.

Any time the two of you want to meet in the middle somewhere and shoot a few rounds together let me know. I'd love to.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 pm
It's not Ithaca-related, but the wife and I are thinking about going to the KY shotgun territorials, which is a series of muzzleloading trap matches at the Mercer Co. fish & game (SW of Harrodsburg) on the first weekend in May.
Wife doesn't do too bad, but I'm really outgunned, trying to shoot an open-bored 20 ga. flintlock trade gun against the fancy 12 ga. BP trap guns. And besides, I'm a skeet shooter, not really a trap shooter. Those birds are flying the wrong way for me! :lol:
We always have a good time there. Really nice folks, and all. However, there are 2 other events up this way that we may have to attend that would interfere. We'll find out about one of them next weekend.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:16 pm
Good luck! I would love to watch one of those. I've never seen a shotgun liked those, and I sure can't imagine trying to grey my trap lead right with the delay if a flintlock. My hat is off to you and your wife.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:52 am
Colonel,
I just got finished booking our hotel reservations.
If you'd like to wander north to the shoot, you and your youngsters would be more than welcome.
I'll bring my smaller 16 ga that you all would be welcome to try.

And, of course, my Ithaca SxS. I'm sure that they would throw us a few birds! :D

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 pm
BP, I'll check our calendar. That sounds amazing and I'd love to shoot a few birds with you. Only thing I worry about is that I have a very addictive personality when it comes to shooting. You may just push me over the edge into another addiction. (It wouldn't be too hard).

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 am
Got another friend here in the Dayton area who calls me his 'enabler' :lol:
I'm just glad to see folks have fun.

On a totally different note, how far are you from the Red River Meeting House, west of Franklin?
I used to speak there at their Oct. rendezvous, before the cost of gas went through the roof.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 am
Franklin, KY right on the TN line? I'm about 45 mins right straight north up I-65. I used to pastor a church there for a few years. As a matter of fact we're going down there next Friday night to have supper with one of the families from that church. 50 miles may seem like a long way to go for supper, but this lady's cooking is worth it. Did I mention that I like to eat too?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:34 pm
For me to drive 400 during the day on Fri, switch vehicles, and then drive another 300 just got to be too much. Or drive for 5 1/2 hours on Sat.morning, and then be able to preach that night, either. Could do it when I was 40, but that was more'n a few days ago.
Enjoy your dinner!

BTW, congrats on your turkey! :D

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 pm
Thank you sir. Now that would be hard to do. I'm 35 myself and that would be tiring for me for sure.

Now west or Franklin, KY is the area where the Second Great Awakening began. Does the meeting have anything to do with that?

If I'm free the weekend of the shoot I'll do my best to be there. It really sounds like fun.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:36 am
They have rebuild the church where the second Great Awakening began.
It's called the Red River meeting house. Not on the actual site, as there is a cemetary there now, but about 100 yards away on the same property. There is a campmeeting there the 2nd weekend in Oct., and other activities throughout the year.
Located just west of the little village of Schochoh. Really worth the trip out there to get grounded in the history of our faith.

As I was typing this, I realize that we hade really digresses from your original post. But still good stuff!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:37 am
If you come to the shoot, look me up.
We have the maroon Ford pickup with a black cap, and the tailgate turned into a loading bench.
Or just ask for Mus'rat Jack. That's my primitive/camp name.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:15 am
Sorry for the late reply. I'm in revival this week and haven't been checking in as regularly. If I get to come up I'll surely look you up. That weekend is coming up on the end of my wife's last semester of college so it will depend on what she has going on whether or not I can make it up. But if I can I surely will.

BTW don't worry about thread drift with me, I'm the king of it! I've been to Shockoh. A good friend of mine is the pastor of Shochoh Baptist Church and when I pastored in Franklin I did some visitation out that way.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 pm
To mis-quote John Denver:
"Well, my guns are packed, and I'm ready to go..." :D

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 pm
BP, how did it go? I wasn't able to make it this weekend as you know, but I was thinking about it. Hope it went well!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:09 pm
Well, Colonel, I have to say that you missed a good time. :D
I got my fanny handed to me, as I was kind of expecting, as I am a skeet shooter against some SERIOUS trap shooters, but I really didn't do all that bad.
Since the wife has stolen the Pedersoli that I had bought for myself, I returned the favor, and 'borrowed' her original 11 ga. But it wasn't until the 4th bird (in a 15-bird match) that she told me that the secret to her gun was that you had to cover the bird, rather than float it over the bead. Once I had this little bit of info, I improved dramatically (I wonder why? :lol: ) and I was actually able to beat her at 20 yds.
She did finish in 2nd among the ladies, and was only out of first by 2, so she got a nice silver medal.
Highlight of the shoot was a special match shot only on Sat.
Since we were in KY, and since they were running some kind of horse race up in Louisville, we decided to put on our own version of the KY Derby. For a single-barrelled gun, as many birds as you could shoot in 10 minutes (5 for a double). Timer started when you called for your first bird. You never saw a bunch of old fat boys move like that! Winner got off 12 shots, with 9 hits. Me, I'm still sucking wind after that. :roll:
Had a nice dinner with another couple Sat eve. Had the chance for a quiet devotional time down in their woods, and then shot some BP cartridge and modern on Sun., then the drive home.
Was a good tune-up for the Nationals at Friendship in June.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:15 am
Good, I'm glad that you had a good time. If have loved to have been there myself. But man it had been hectic here. The wife was finishing up her last semester of college, and we're trying to get closed on a new piece of property that we just bought. I guess the old saying must be true, "there's no rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need none."

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:56 am
We would have loved to have had you, but I know about how hectic life can be, especially for you as a pastor. Hope that your wife does well, and graduates with honors (Shoot, anyone who graduates should recieve honors. They've earned it!) :D
If you want to see the big to-do of muzzleloading, the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Ass'n is holding it's Spring Nationals at Friendship, IN June 9 - 17. Besides rifle and pistol, we'll be shooting trap, skeet, sporting clays, and a variation of sporting clays called the Quail walk. It's about 50 miles east of Seymour, IN. I'll be there all week, although the wife will have to come home and work a few days.
you can go to NMLRA.org for details

Return to East South Central