Model 37 : 20 ga or 28 ga

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:55 pm
Getting older now and studying the Model 37, looking for a lighter gun to carry and hunt grouse, woodcock and pheasants. I may shoot some clays and/or skeet with this next gun as well. I'm considering the 20 gauge pump to use, but am also intrigued by the lighter 28 ga. I've never shot a 28 ga, but a 6 lb gun sounds like a delight.
I have an older SKB Model 500 20 ga w/26" barrels (fixed IC & M chokes), and a much older Winchester Model 12, 20 ga, choked full, but I had it opened up a bit about 35 years ago. I'm wanting another repeater, but with invector chokes.
The advantages of a 20 ga are : way more loads to choose from and use & many more commonly available.
I only know what I've been gleaning on the internet about shooting and hunting with a 28 ga, so that's where I'm at.

The M37 20 ga w/26" barrel is 6.8 lbs , the 28 ga w/26" barrel is 6 lbs. I've never owned an Ithaca, but have been around them for many years. Unfortunately, there are no Ithaca shotguns at any of the dealers in this part of the world - to handle for fit.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 am
I rarely see any older M37's around here, after reading more about these shotguns, I see the older vintage 16 ga and 20 ga 37's are typically described weighong around 6 lbs....or slightly over that.
Why are the currently manufactured 37's heavier ?Guessing this is why the 16 ga was dropped because it was over a lb heavier than the vintage models of the same gauge.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:15 pm
Yes the new guns are heavier. Current market customers want a 3 inch gun, a vent rib, and choke tubes. All of these things add weight. The older barrels are thinner and it is difficult to find someone to install choke tubes in them. Older receivers also had a bit more rounding / lightening cuts, a smaller trigger guard, and even more hollowing out inside the stock. As far a 16 gauge goes it has always seemed to come and go no matter the manufacture or model.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 pm
1977cutcher wrote:Yes the new guns are heavier. Current market customers want a 3 inch gun, a vent rib, and choke tubes. All of these things add weight. The older barrels are thinner and it is difficult to find someone to install choke tubes in them. Older receivers also had a bit more rounding / lightening cuts, a smaller trigger guard, and even more hollowing out inside the stock. As far a 16 gauge goes it has always seemed to come and go no matter the manufacture or model.

Was guessing the answers would be along these reasons, some I hadn't considered.
Thanks for the feedback.

Return to Ithaca Model 37