UK SKB's

1966-1978
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm
In my quest to find an Ithaca SKB (I recently missed a stock, action and fore end only in a sale) I bid blind on an English stocked Model 100 based on a grainy picture and a wild guess. It turned out not to be Ithaca branded but is a nice little 28" non ejector with good (no cracks) wood which I am sure will clean up a treat. It has a useful 14 1/4" LOP, normally I find that English straight stocked guns are a touch on the short side, so not a bad result, especially with the price, £25 (about $30 US) plus a tank of diesel to go and get it. So, still looking for the elusive and unusual (for the UK) Ithaca's but quite happy nonetheless. Pictured here with my earlier find, the 26" Model 200E, not quite a pair but good working guns anyway.
skb pair.JPG
Top Model 200E, bottom model 100
skb pair.JPG (85.28 KiB) Viewed 27324 times

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 pm
Looks good! I never have owned an " English Stock" Let us know how it shoots!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am
A fine looking set... !!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 am
Donald wrote:Looks good! I never have owned an " English Stock" Let us know how it shoots!

Hi Donald, for a non technical description, here goes; firstly the felt recoil seems greater in the shoulder with the straight stock. A number of reasons, 1 no recoil pad! 2, the trigger hand wrist is rotated downward which affords a slightly worse (in my opinion) grip so the wood can slip through the hand easier, 3 the higher, more in-line comb seems to keep everything moving in one plane only (backwards)
There seems to be little muzzle climb and follow up shots seem slightly easier compared to the pistol gripped 200E, though the 200E seems more comfortable (familiar?) to shoot. The proof is in the pudding so they say, and 25 clays with the 100 scored 22, when duplicated with the 200E scored 20. Not too scientific of course, slightly different chokes but I must confess surprise as I expected to do better with the pistol grip. Time will tell if my first attempts were indicative of anything or not, but both guns are nice to shoot (light 24g fibre wad loads) and though the straight stock felt a little awkward, I will not dismiss its obvious merits, I would counsel you to try one yourself!
Best wishes
Roland

Return to SKB 100/200 Side By Side