Messed up pretty good this time...

Want to show off your H&R 1871? Here is the place to do it!

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 am
I was chopping wood last night and using my hatchet to strip off some kindling. I was kinda just keeping my fingers out of the way so I wouldnt have to call Jenny, my wife, and tell her to hurry home cuz I just cut one of them off. What I did was miss my mark and the hatchet glanced off the side of the chunk of wood i was working on and I parked the hatchet in my ankle.

I looked down and knew it wasnt right and that I couldnt fix it here. It immediately welled up with dark red blood and looked like a wide open mouth.

I calmly had my youngest, Lauren age 5, go inside and get my oldest, Cole age 15. I had already gripped my ankle tighly with one hand and had my foot on my other knee. I told him I was gonna keep it calm but I needed him to #1 get into my pack and get my Mudinyeri EDC, first aid kit, and #2 call Jenny and have her get home immediately.

While one hand was holding my ankle closed tightly, I got into my kit and got a bandage out with the other hand. I wrapped that sucker TIGHT!

Jenny got home with our oldest daughter, Allison age 12, and we headed to the hospital. Cole stayed home. I got to a room and the nurse unwrapped my ankle and the thing opened wide and belched blood! It was kinda cool, cuz I hit an artery and you could see the blood pulsing out of it!!! My baby stood right by the bed and watched the doctor stitch it closed! Only 4 stitches though, I'm a little disappointed...

Allison watched too and managed to get this picture with her phone!

HatchetWound.jpg
Hatchet wound on my ankle!!!
HatchetWound.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 12699 times

Moral of the story, complacency = accidents. Dont get comfortable with seemingly mundane tasks. Knowing basic first aid is a plus and its useless if you dont keep supplies on hand. Its hard to think about needing something through the simple day to day, but dont wait till its needed. Knowing simple things to prevent bleeding out like elevating the wounded or injured body part, and applying pressure can potentially be a life saver. I hit an artery didnt loose any more blood than what was on the bandage. I know adrenaline is pumping, but knowing ahead of time what to do and being prepared for it can again save your life or someone elses. Dont get excited, dont get up and run around, and if youre the injured one, be able to instruct those around you. Had I got all kinds of excited, I may have lost enough blood to pass out and my hormonal teenage son and my otherwise unskilled 5 year old would have been no help at all and panicked them selves calling everyone but 911 and my wife.

Keep supplies on hand
Know how to use them
know how to advise
Stay calm
Know when to get help in the event its more than you can handle

If anything like this happens on a hiking/backpacking/hunting trip, the consequences are significantly more dire.

Be safe!!!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am
Glad you're OK Bro...

And good points on being prepared and not panicking...lessons learned !!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:52 am
Shooter, just glad I can share, and Thanks man! I'm gonna make it through alright! I like for my mistakes to be lessons for others... why learn from your own mistakes when other have boldy gone before you and already made them! :D

I'm sittin at home today missing work because I got a little wild and careless with a simple chore. It isnt a bad wound, but could potentially have been much worse.

Like i was sayin, if youre hiking the back country or on a solo hunting trip, you had better have a plan in place for injuries. You may have to get yourself out under your own power. If you have someone with you, know enough to instruct them to help you. If its someone else with you who gets injured, you may be saving a life. Sometimes in those circumstances, basic first aid becomes anything but basic.

Imagine all the simple tasks we undertake;
splitting wood
using a machete to clear brush
working under a vehicle
getting a fire started

So many inherent risks we take for granted... so much potential injury.
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:28 pm
That looks like it hurt! Ouch! Only four stiches for that? Glad your ok
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:25 pm
Rossignol wrote: "So many inherent risks we take for granted... so much potential injury."

Roger that Bro...!!

Return to Photo And Video Gallery