Old Deer Slayer scope mounts

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:19 pm
I have two DS barrels, one smoothbore, and a rifled. Both have the rear sight mounted on what appears to be a base capable of mounting scope rings, four slots, two on either side. My question is, who made rings to fit these, and what were the model numbers if anyone remembers, or has the boxes.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:23 pm
Can you post a picture of this "base" krag...?!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:30 pm
The rectangle cut outs on the sight base, fore and aft on both sides. If not for scope rings, then why are they there? And what rings fit them?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:17 am
That is strange looking...as the semi buckhorn sights are dovetailed into a piece of metal that seems to be fitted into the tapered mount. Not sure if it's supposed to be for a scope. Does the buckhorn mount move (slide back/forth) or is it stationary ?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 am
I believe that's the standard Deer Slayer sight rib from 1959 through the 1980's at least. My rifled barrel is a King Ferry 3" magnum barrel and has the exact rib on it. The sight has an elevator for elevation and is adjustable for windage by pushing the dove tail. The front sight is an orange Raybar pyramid. Those milled rectangular slots look like they're for scope rings to me.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:49 am
First time seeing that setup krag...let us know if you figure it out.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:27 pm
The rib is .500" wide, too narrow for standard Weaver rings so I'm wondering if they take narrow .22 rings. Somewhere in all this gun junk I should have a set of old .22 rings for a grooved receiver gun, but I don't have a .22 with a grooved receiver.

I posted the question on Shotgun world, and if I can remember, I'll call Ithaca tomorrow.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:36 am
SHOOTER13 wrote:That is strange looking...as the semi buckhorn sights are dovetailed into a piece of metal that seems to be fitted into the tapered mount. Not sure if it's supposed to be for a scope.

Looks completely normal to me. Both my DSPS barrels are like this. (One's 1982 and the other 1983.)

Does the buckhorn mount move (slide back/forth) or is it stationary ?

Oh, they *move* alright. In fact, that's one of the problems that I have with my PSG gun. I'm currently in the middle of trying to buy a new rear-sight from Ithaca so that it can drill and tap it for grubs scews. (I don't want to risk buggering up the original.)

If anyone knows of a good reason *not* to do this or can think of a better solution, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I broke my M37's slide-pin at the end of last year and so I've been using my Chiappa 1887 all of *this* year. I've had a bit of trouble getting emails through to Ithaca's spares department. Anyone *else* had this trouble? (Patty has offered to pass my emails on to Zak, so it's not a *total* break-down of communications...)
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 am
I have used a "B-Square" (ebay buy)scope mount on a converted 37 with a Deer Slayer barrel and mounted a 3x9x50 Tasco scope on it. No drilling, simple to mount, solid, easy to put on, easy to take off. Haven't shot it yet, but looks OK, and I didn't have to drill anything and also didn't have to change any sites. Donald

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 am
Donald, the B-Square mount is receiver mounted, isn't it? I'm not really wanting to mount a scope on mine, but a red dot, or holo sight have passed through my mind.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:50 am
ChAoS wrote:
SHOOTER13 wrote:That is strange looking...as the semi buckhorn sights are dovetailed into a piece of metal that seems to be fitted into the tapered mount. Not sure if it's supposed to be for a scope.

Looks completely normal to me. Both my DSPS barrels are like this. (One's 1982 and the other 1983.)

Does the buckhorn mount move (slide back/forth) or is it stationary ?

Oh, they *move* alright. In fact, that's one of the problems that I have with my PSG gun. I'm currently in the middle of trying to buy a new rear-sight from Ithaca so that it can drill and tap it for grubs scews. (I don't want to risk buggering up the original.)

If anyone knows of a good reason *not* to do this or can think of a better solution, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I broke my M37's slide-pin at the end of last year and so I've been using my Chiappa 1887 all of *this* year. I've had a bit of trouble getting emails through to Ithaca's spares department. Anyone *else* had this trouble? (Patty has offered to pass my emails on to Zak, so it's not a *total* break-down of communications...)

Right you are, Mark. I think the rib was standard from the 60's until the DSII came around.

Haven't had any problem with the sights moving myself, they seem solidly mounted to me, at least neither of mine are loose. I see no problem using a grub screw to secure the sight, I've seen some factory sights with them, (a small screw set center to put pressure on the sight to prevent it's movement).

I haven't had any problems contacting Ithaca, and in particular Zak. Here's his e-mail on his business card, zamert@ithacagun.com phone, 419-294-4113, fax, 419-294-3230. I don't know about international, but here in the states we would dial a 1 prefix before the number if long distance.

I just called Ithaca between paragraphs Zak will be in his office Tuesday, Sept. 2. As for ordering the part, they said they do ship international and you can order the part you need on line. Go to their web site, Online Store Home, create an account, find what you need and order. Sounds too simple to me, but that's what she said, you may have to provide permits on your end, I don't know.

Ithaca Gun Company

420 N. Warpole Street
Upper Sandusky, OH 43351

Phone: 1-877-6ITHACA - (877-648-4222)
FAX: 419-294-3230

Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time, (5 hours behind your time)

Dealer Inquiries: dealer@ithacagun.com

Service Inquiries: service@ithacagun.com

General Email: contact@ithacagun.com

Mark, the slide pin lists at $6.00 (USD) from Ithaca, (pn-370015) if you have problems ordering it, could you have it made locally at a machine shop? Looks like a simple lathe operation to me.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 pm
The guys at shotgunworld came through with the answer. Ithaca sold, (as an accessory I'm guessing) a set consisting of Redfield rings and a Leupold M-8 2X long eye relief scope for these D-S barrels.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:25 pm
krag96 wrote:Haven't had any problem with the sights moving myself, they seem solidly mounted to me, at least neither of mine are loose.

I suppose using it for PSG *is* a little harsh on a thirty-year-old gun. I haven't considered the moving sights a problem until now because the feed issues have been the main problem.

I see no problem using a grub screw to secure the sight, I've seen some factory sights with them, (a small screw set center to put pressure on the sight to prevent it's movement).

I figured that the normal "thread lock" approach wouldn't work because, of course, the barrel gets so hot during "enthusiastic" periods of use. (Also, I'd still like to be able to sight them in.)

I haven't had any problems contacting Ithaca, and in particular Zak. Here's his e-mail on his business card, zamert@ithacagun.com

I have to admit that I usually use the service@ address. The contact@ address, however, worked just fine. Perhaps I should give the zamert@ address a go. For now, I'll let Patty pass my messages on. (Oh, thanks for the info.)

phone, 419-294-4113, fax, 419-294-3230. I don't know about international, but here in the states we would dial a 1 prefix before the number if long distance.

I normally wouldn't even *consider* 'phoning abroad from the UK because the charges seem high compared to many other countries. However...

In (I think) 2012, I had to 'phone Ithaca to pay for an order. Before I did so, I asked our phone company how much it'd cost. The chap said that it'd be either a penny a minute or *eight* pence a minute. I was happy with that and went ahead, 'phoned Zak and, in due course (after crossing HMRC's palm with more silver) the package arrived. In the event, the call turned out to be *free*. Now *that*, I wasn't expecting...

I just called Ithaca between paragraphs Zak will be in his office Tuesday, Sept. 2. As for ordering the part, they said they do ship international and you can order the part you need on line. Go to their web site, Online Store Home, create an account, find what you need and order. Sounds too simple to me, but that's what she said, you may have to provide permits on your end, I don't know.

As I say, I *have* ordered from them before. And I was very thankful that they'll supply me for, of course, there are no Ithaca dealers over here.

As for using the web site, I've found lately that many web sites are a bit unreliable when one tries to use an Android tablet or 'phone to do transactions. In any case, two of the bits that I wanted were not *on* the web site as far as I could tell.

The rear sight, I've already mentioned. I did, though, also want a butt pad. Zak offered me an modern type rubbery thing but all I wanted was what was already *on* the gun. Viz, a plain thin, plastic one. (In the email that Patty passed on for me, I ask Zak whether these are still available.)

The reason I wanted the old type was that I wanted to somehow extend the stock bolt until it was just short of the underside of the butt pad and change it to a hex headed bolt. Then, I'd drill medium-sized hole in the butt pad and use, say, an allen key to do it up and undo it. The idea, of course, is to avoid having to faff around unscrewing the butt pad when cleaning the gun or just tightening the stock.

On this subject, by the way, I have acquired a Choate replacement butt pad for the M37. I was *very* disappointed in it. They even changed the size of the stock bolt head so that my specially-made tool wouldn't fit and I had to make another. (Length of bent mild steel bar with a socket fitted to the end.)

Mark, the slide pin lists at $6.00 (USD) from Ithaca, (pn-370015) if you have problems ordering it, could you have it made locally at a machine shop? Looks like a simple lathe operation to me.

I actually *have* a lathe, although I don't use it much.

I wanted to order a bunch of other stuff so I merely added it onto the list. In fact, the gun still *works*, but I've elected not to use it incase the severed end of the pin scores or otherwise damaged the inside of the receiver.

To be honest, I've really enjoyed using the Chiappa 1887 over the last few months - it doesn't suffer from most of the annoying little problems that I've had with the M37.

There are a couple of other M37 enthusiasts over here and at least one is getting the main niggle that *I* am: hard extractions of fired hulls. In fact, I even get this on the Chiappa... (Must be our crappy ammo that we use. As far as I'm aware, I've *never* handled a shotgun shell that had a real *brass* base...)

Thanks for your help and info.

Regards,

Mark.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 pm
Mark, all I can add is a comment about shells. We have a few solid brass hulls available here, Federal Gold Medal, Remington Premier STS, and Winchester AA, (at least the old style, I'm not sure about the new AA's). I buy the once fired Remington Premier STS and reload them.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:24 am
No-one *else* in our club seems to have the extraction problems that I do. But then no-one *else* shoots an Ithaca or Chiappa. (I shot a club competition a few weeks ago and I was the *only* member of my squad *not* shootin' a Benelli pump...)

Regards,

Mark.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 pm
Strange indeed, neither of my 37s have any cycling, extraction, or ejection problems, and I'm shooting reloads.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:01 am
It's certainly very frustrating.

Having tried a few other shotguns over the past four years, I *much* prefer the M37 - and, specifically, the DSPS variant - over all other guns. (In this instance, I consider the '1887 clone to be off to one side, in a class of its own...)

However, watching video that people have taken of me shooting PSG stages, I was suprised how *many* hard extractions that I have - and the Chiappa is getting close to one hard extraction per stage. When I *don't* get extraction problems and when the stage doesn't discriminate against the use of a lever-action shotgun *too* much, I can do surprisingly well. Simply put, without the extraction problems, the Chiappa is very reliable. (Operator errors notwithstanding.)

Similarly, I have, on ocassion, done reasonably well with the M37 when everything goes OK. During one match, an RO said to me, "You can load that gun quite fast". Which would've been nice, except that he added , "when you're not under pressure". The thing is, I don't use any fancy hardware like caddies or load-4 holders; it's plain ol' Prodec clips for me. (I'm too tight to buy anything more expensive.)

Livin' in the UK, the main problem is that I'm (currently) only allowed to own two "Section.2" (ie, unrestricted) shotguns. In my case, I have the 8-shot Ithaca M37 and the 7-shot Chiappa 1887. If I wanted a more "competitive" gun - say a Benelli pump or, for a bit of fun, a Bora box-fed - then I'd need another "slot". I may, in fact, apply for another slot with the justification that the M37 is a *slug* gun, so three slots - manual, semi-auto and slug - isn't unreasonable. I want to shoot rifles, too, so at some stage in the not too distant future, I'll be applying for a few more slots...

It's such a great shame that there isn't a Ithaca dealer in the UK. I'm trying *very* hard to "spread the word" but, even now, the only Ithaca shotguns that I've seen are *mine*. :(

It may be that I'll merely have to change ammo but I use what's [a] cheap(ish) and [b] available locally. (I can walk home from the shop with a slab (flat) in my backpack. Then, I feel so "green" and *pious* - until I shoot the ammo, of course.)

When I get the spares from Ithaca, I'll have another "serious" go at getting the gun to work properly. Until then, it's "yee, haa!" all the way. :)

Regards,

Mark.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 pm
ithaca_deerslayer_ad.jpg
ithaca_deerslayer_ad.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 38839 times
ithaca_deerslayer_ad.jpg
ithaca_deerslayer_ad.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 38839 times
I know this is an older thread but here is what i know.
Ithaca used to offer a "combo" deerslayer with scope and rings. see attached pic.

the rings were made by redfield and they part # is 551001, they are hard to find but i was fortunate enough to locate a pair in good condition for my deerslayer project. i am currently looking for a period correct scope as well.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 pm
Very nice, thanks!

Return to Ithaca Deerslayer