Buck and Ball?

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:04 am
Anybody know of a proven, (safe) recipe for buck and ball load for 12ga? (1 near bore dia. ball with 3 buckshot pellets on top, it was a very effective load for smoothbore muskets).

Nothing in Lyman's 5th edition shotshell manual, but I do recall seeing one recipe in an old 1950's manual using paper hulls and powder that's no longer available. Anything using modern plastic hulls and powders?

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:18 am
Krag96, Centurian loads it and Winchester does too. Winchester loads a slug with 3 buckshot as a home defense load. Winchester calls theirs the PDX Defender.
Centurian is imported and sold by Cheaper than Dirt. There is a small manufacturer of specialty shotgun loads in Florida known as DIXIE SLUGS. They load very heavy slugs, 730 gain and 870 grain. They also load a Buckshot load for 3 and 3.5 inch shells, that has Three (3), .60 caliber , 325 grain buckshot, hard cast pellets in it. They call it TRI-BALL.
These Tri-Ball loads are devastating on deer and hogs out 40 yds or so, and would be a good choice for defense. Wish I had them as an LEO. We had only 00 or # 4 buck only. These would have been a far cry better.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html
http://www.winchester.com/Products/shot ... fault.aspx

ALW3

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:52 am
I wasn't aware of the Winchester load, ALW3. I'm looking for reliable info on loading my own, I have a .69 rb mold and a .31 rb mold, (right between O and #1 buckshot).

I had a Harper's Ferry Model 1842 .69 smoothbore musket I played around with some years ago, the .69 rb was a snug fit in a clean bore as they were meant to load a .65 ball and 3 buckshot. Anyway, it was devastating on targets to 50yds, I never shot it farther than that, but the Irish Brigade did very well with them in the War between The States.

Since I have the molds and a MEC 600jr I want to try buck and ball in my 12ga. M37. I do have a load for just the .69 ball and it's reported to be pretty accurate out to 50yds with a slug barrel. Now to find a safe recipe to add 3 buckshot to that ball...

Thanks for the links!

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 am
Krag 96, Try www.ballisticproducts.com, they will loading manuals for buckshot and slugs and probably the load you are looking for

ALW3

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 pm
I looked there a week or so ago, but didn't see any. I did put in a request for a load, but haven't been back to check on things yet.

The guys on castboolits.com list some that look interesting. I may try one when I get the fiber and card wads.

Return to Ammunition