Sabot slug recommendations?

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:16 am
Just picked up a Hogslayer (!) and since it has a rifled barrel, time to try some sabot slugs out. Can anyone recommend some various brands to me? Any major difference between 2-3/4" and 3" aside from recoil?

Thanks guys :)
Insert comical quip here.
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 am
I am biased towards Lightfield Ammunition http://litfld.com/wp/ but they are pricey when it comes to slugs. They are the only slugs I use in all of my shotguns and they have never let me down in the field. I like the hybred series because I zero in the slug and can switch between them without having to rezero the gun.

The Hybred and Commander series explained:

Hybred series:
The Lightfield Hybred series utilizes a pure lead hour glass shaped slug. This is designed for rapid expansion, shedding ALL energy within the width of a whitetail deer sized animals upper body thus keeping. the animal within the sight area. Very rarely exiting the target (animal), the EXP expands too large to penetrate the hide a second time transferring 100% of the retained energy of the slug into the body of the target (animal). In addition, the post/pressure wad is designed to stay with the slug, locked fast forever, to aid in the stabilization increasing the accuracy at greater distances. The sabot is in two parts and surrounds the slug while it is moving down the barrel. Both pieces of the sabot come off the slug less than 20 feet from the muzzle.

Commander IDS PLUS series:
The Lightfield Commander IDS PLUS is a controlled expansion, deep penetration, “Heavy Game” slug intended for game of (300lbs or better), thus the IDS PLUS will normally shoot thru deer size game. Muzzle velocities are greater than the Hybred line as is the size of the slug, 600 grain vs the 546 grain of the Hybred. The IDS PLUS is constructed very similar to the Hybred with the post/pressure wad staying locked to the slug to target impact. Again this design aids in stabilizing the slug during flight eliminating tumble and increasing the accuracy at greater distances. The sabot on the IDS is one piece that surrounds the slug and will not discard until target impact. This design aids in the controlled expansion and deeper penetration.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:51 am
I learned something today. :)
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 am
I use the Winchester Partition golds and the Hornady SST's. To 100 yards, you won't find one bit of difference between the 2 3/4" and 3" except a sore shoulder. after that things to separate a bit. I still stick to 2 3/4" though.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:10 am
Great information, thanks guys.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:46 am
Bottom line is I would grab some slugs from the store and see what your gun eats the best and go with those.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 pm
Picked up three packs of Remington Accutips, they are 3"... all I could find in stock locally.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 am
Boy howdy, does this thing go boom. Ate those Remingtons right up!

Also found out my M37 defense does not like Winchesters, only Remingtons. Now to see if I can find some No 1 buckshot in 12 gauge from Remington.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:57 am
I have a Hogslayer and have found that the Winchester PDX1 Defender ammo works the best in all situations (Home defense and slug hunting). They have a slug and 3 plated 00 pellets in each load. At 100 yds the slugs are dead center, at shorter ranges the slugs are dead center and the buckshot has a tight pattern. I recommend that you have a good recoil pad added to your stock, it makes shooting the Hogslayer much sweeter to shoot.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:43 am
Picked up more since I have found more... Hornaday, Federal Fusion, Winchester Razorback XTs, one Lightfield, and Brennke (sp?).

Will check out that PDX1, dismissed it as I am not looking for a defense load. Also was curious about lead fouling in that rifled barrel. Should be okay if not shooting a bunch through it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:33 am
When testing slugs, my suggestion is always to begin with the least expensive. Slug accuracy are highly dependent on the gun. One gun will shoot one slug great, while another will prefer a different slug. I will also throw in the caveat that my DSII storm shoots everything (except Brenneke dangerous game slug) well withing the kill zone of a critter at 100 yards. The barrel attachment on non takedown M37's is key. For some reason, my gun does not consistently stabilize DG slugs, and many would keyhole.

Any hog will immediately drop if shot in the neck with a 12ga slug, but I will point out the vast majority of the slugs were designed to expand rapidly in game. Brenneke slugs were designed for penetration.

Rifled slugs were designed for smooth barrels, but may be shot in rifled barrels, the rifling allows the slug to be swaged through a choke without damaging the gun. If you plan on shooting them within 75 yards, why not see how they perform?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:29 am
My plans are for 100yd and under with this HS, so I will hopefully report back with good news.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:53 am
Why not cast and load your own? It's become an addiction for me.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:22 am
krag96 wrote:Why not cast and load your own? It's become an addiction for me.

Any reading I can do on this before considering? Built a reloading bench recently for an RCBS loader I bought.

I was skunked due to weather, shot my Sub 2000 first instead of the HS. Oh well, I did get to work on the IH Scout stashed in the barn... oil service, figured out the power drain (bad diode in alt :roll:), and new ignition switch.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:25 pm
castboolits.com has a section for shotguns and there's lots of guys there casting and loading slugs, buckshot, and buck&ball, including full bore slugs.

Return to Ammunition