Model 49 Serial Numbers

1961-1979

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 pm
Google found most of the following information for me.

A person that was a proclaimed smith at Ithaca during the production of Model 49 Saddle Guns said there were no numbering schemes. I'm hoping there is and maybe he wasn't the right person to ask. However, I've found several other "net nerds" who have said the same.

There were two woods used. Walnut and Elm. People say that it was a mid production change; dark to light. The "gunsmith" agrees. He also stated that the reciever is aluminum. Some people thought it was a different metal.

The rifle ran '61-79, with other info pointing towards a cease production in 1973.

The rifle was purpose built for Sears and was built in the Ithaca plant. They also produced a "Sears" marked rifle that was simular. The Model 49R Repeater is made in Germany.

The rifle was AKA "The Roy Rogers" (Sears brand maybe?)

If anyone can confirm or disprove any of this info, you help is greatly appreciated. I have cataloged and traced most of my inherited rifles besides this guy. I know the story of how I got it, and a little about when, why and where it was bought. That would be for rabbit hunting, in the mid to late '60s in Port Jefferson, Long Island.

It is fully functional and still kinda pretty. I know its had 5K+ rounds through it. I put most of them through it myself lol. Its still good out to 50yrds with a 1200FPS round nose. Thats really all I shoot from it. There have been plenty of "stinger" rounds through it too, but the barrel length is too short. I've shot one CCI Quiet 650FPS and I heard the hammer strike over the report. :)

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm
Unless I am wrong the 49R was made in Ithaca NY and the model 72 was made in East Germany.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:42 pm
twin_rotor wrote:Google found most of the following information for me.

A person that was a proclaimed smith at Ithaca during the production of Model 49 Saddle Guns said there were no numbering schemes. I'm hoping there is and maybe he wasn't the right person to ask. However, I've found several other "net nerds" who have said the same.

There were two woods used. Walnut and Elm. People say that it was a mid production change; dark to light. The "gunsmith" agrees. He also stated that the reciever is aluminum. Some people thought it was a different metal.

The rifle ran '61-79, with other info pointing towards a cease production in 1973.

The rifle was purpose built for Sears and was built in the Ithaca plant. They also produced a "Sears" marked rifle that was simular. The Model 49R Repeater is made in Germany.

The rifle was AKA "The Roy Rogers" (Sears brand maybe?)

If anyone can confirm or disprove any of this info, you help is greatly appreciated. I have cataloged and traced most of my inherited rifles besides this guy. I know the story of how I got it, and a little about when, why and where it was bought. That would be for rabbit hunting, in the mid to late '60s in Port Jefferson, Long Island.

It is fully functional and still kinda pretty. I know its had 5K+ rounds through it. I put most of them through it myself lol. Its still good out to 50yrds with a 1200FPS round nose. Thats really all I shoot from it. There have been plenty of "stinger" rounds through it too, but the barrel length is too short. I've shot one CCI Quiet 650FPS and I heard the hammer strike over the report. :)

The Ithaca Model 49 and 49R were manufactured in the United States.The Ithaca Model 72 was manufactured in West Germany.

It is my understanding that the Model 49 and 49R production stopped in 1971.However in about 1973 a bunch of Model 49R rifles were found in a warehouse and shipped out at that time.

The 49 was a great single shot rifle.The 49R had problems with ejection on many rifles.

Would like very much to see a top ejecting .22 lever action Ithaca repeater again.Perhaps the ejection problem could be fixed with a new design.Also the lever loop on the 49R was a bit small,especially when gloves had to be used.A bigger loop would be great.

Return to Model 49