Model 51 disassembly

1970-1980

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 pm
My son bought me a model 51 for Christmas. Bless him.
I read the post 'Model 51 Featherlight' and how the charging handle was falling out.
I have the opposite problem. I cannot get the charging handle out by pulling.
Do I need to pry it out? How rough do I need to get...or is there a release somewhere?
The handle appears to be rather loose in its slot, it just doesn't want to come out.
I was surprised when the instructions said "Remove charging handle by pulling straight out from bolt." I'd suspect it would be easy to lose when working. There's gotta be a trick. What is it?

stevev
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum stevev !!

Sorry I can't help you, but I never had to break down a Model 51.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:59 pm
the charging handle is held in place simply by a notch
there is a small metal spring loaded plunger that locks into that notch

my first guess is that the plunger is rusted or gummed up not allowing the slight movement needed to pull the charging handle free.

first thing to try is a small amount of penitrating oil. kroil works good
let it sit and do its work

it really should just pull out .
if after 24hrs of letting the oil work it dosent pull out by hand ,you could try a bit of prying , but do it evenly and and lightly ,it shouldn't need much

after you get it out ,remove the bolt and action carrier
you have to free the plunger up,it isin a small hole inside the accual carrier
remove the link on the back of the carrier , its held by a pin inside you'll find a link plunger a spring and then the charging handle plunger (its prob stuck up inside there)
solvent it up clean it out and make sure they move freely and are oiled.

while your in there replace the reciever and bolt buffers as well as the action spring lest you could crack the carrier

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 pm
Thanks twisted,
I'll let you know how it goes.

stevev

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:26 pm
Twistedoak,
great directions.
This gun looks near new.
A little oil to get the pin over that sharp corner on the charging handle was all it took.

The screw that held the receiver buffer is broken.
I believe that's the root cause for why I disassembled it to start with...It won't eject a shell (and load another). That buffer probably got sideways.
The bolt buffer is so brittle that it cracked in half when I tried to remove it..
The receiver buffer has half a screw in it but looks serviceable (if old).
The action spring plunger doesn't want to come out, but it may not need to.

Bottom line:
Where's your recommended source for the parts you mentioned (two buffers and a spring)?
Should I just grab the spring plunger with some needle nose and pull it out?
(I'm 6-1, 250 lbs...I've broken a lot of stuff just pulling on it. I want to be sure it'll give before gettin' on it.)

Thanks for the help.
It's great to see the knowledgeable people helpin' out.

stevev
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm
les at diamondgunsmithing has the parts you need
including a new extractor spring ,for that extraction prob

replace both buffers no matter what they look like they and the action spring are both over 40 yrs old.

to remove the action spring plunger first remove the trigger block by pushing the 2 pins thru that are visable on the reciever side (either direction)

turn the gun upside down and where the reciever meets the stock you will see a small wire pin.
pivot the wire pin out and push down on the action plunger slightly and remove the wire pin.

the action spring plunger and spring should come out.

now often with m51s the flare that the action spring plunger sits in can get slammed by the carrier (result of old buffers ,weak action spring)
this is what breaks the carriers and it can also deform the flare enough to make it difficult to remove the plunger.
if so you can try to go at it thru the stock bolt hole and tap it out with a long thin metal rod ,or use a cut down drift pin to re round the flare

Return to Model 51