Choke system 51 waterfowler

1970-1980

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:05 pm
i just purchased a 51 waterfowler with choke tube setup. How can I determine what style tubes will work in it? This is my 3rd 51. Actually 4th, i had one stolen in a break in a long time ago. But now the love affair is back on! I bought one back in the winter and just got out to shoot it. Put a smile on my face right off the bat! :) Thanks for any help on the question.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:56 pm
i can't help much with the choke tube part ,mine is fixed ,
maybe you can take it to a shop and possibly find a match by trial and error?
i'm guessing there could only be so many possibilities.

other then that i can only say ,replace the action spring and make sure your buffers are good before any heavy shooting.
last thing you want or need is a broken carrier

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:01 pm
I know i read somewhere that at least two different tube systems where used. On the colonial Arms website it says that Winchoke will work. So I'll have to compair and/or take it to a good gunsmith for an opinion. Now, when you refer to changing the buffers which part is that exactly?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
there are 3 nylon/teflon? bushings in a m51.
2 of them are known to crack,splinter or disinagrate over time and abuse.
they take a beating because of a weak action spring and the finale result is a broken carrier or even a cracked reciever in extream cases.

all the way in the back top of the reciever is the reciever buffer ,you need to remove the bolt and its carrier to see it .
the screw to remove it is under the buttstock so the stock has to be removed.
if you have a weak action spring the bolt will pound this buffer too hard and ruin it.

the other buffer of concern is the bolt buffer ,, it is inside the bolt ,the fireing pin and spring hold in place.
after you remove the bolt/carrier assembly turn it over and you can see the buffer up inside there

you should also keep an eye on the nylon gas assembly buffer on the barrel , but i've never noticed wear on it yet
numbrich has action springs ,they are a tad long tho and need trimming,
and blackjackbuffers sells reciever buffers

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll have to go though them to see how they look. Or better yet, just buy'em and install. These guns are shooters not wall hangers.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 am
you might want to call Briley. They probably made the chokes for it and would have all the specs. and even if they didn't they can make them. It might be a winchoke type system but it might not be the same bore diameter.
--Jim

Return to Model 51