New 51 owner and cracked carrier disease

1970-1980

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:46 pm
Well I found a darn near perfect m51 at my local gunshop. Stock is just gorgeous and checkering and engraving look beautiful as well. Got it home tonight and disassembled it to find a cracked carrier!!
Really wasnt expecting it because of the condition of the gun, it does not appear to have many rounds through it. Looks can be deceiving I guess.
Now I reckon I should send it to Les. Anyone had one repaired lately? About how much did it cost?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:43 am
not sure how much it costs as I repair my own ...
however your doing it the right way by having les repair it .
while you're at it have les send you new bolt and receiver buffers and an action spring in order to prevent further abuse.
the buffers and spring are around $50

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 am
I have a friend who is really good at tig work, and also a gun nut like myself (though he has no Ithaca, I try not to hold it against him) and he would make the repair for me if I don't want to ship the whole gun to les. Hopefully I can just send him the carrier. I planned on doing the spring and buffers to start with, hoping the carrier was not cracked yet.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 pm
it all depends on how good he is with the tig .

surface prep as well as having everything aligned properly is the key.. its a precision spec'd piece
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:42 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum bosshogg !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 pm
Thanks for the welcome! I have much to learn about the beloved Ithaca. If its not here I dont think I need to know it lol, there is quite the information database!

I called and talked to Les. I am sending the gun to him as soon as I find a box for it. after listening to what he does to prevent this from happening again, and his impressive tenure at Ithaca back in the day, its a no-brainer to have the professional do the work.

Return to Model 51