Cleaning a Ithaca X-15 Lightning

1958-1964 (X-5 Lightning), 1964-1967 (X-15 Lightning)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:23 pm
I bought my X-15 in the mid 60s. I used the rifle often for target shooting for only a year or two back then. At that time, I used to clean the barrel but never took it apart until now. Hasn't been used till recently and is in excellent condition, no rust.

I want to clean the action, review the spring and firing pin as it is misfiring on too many rounds.
I don't see how to remove the action from the bolt housing.

Can anyone post the cleaning instructions for this X-15?
I have seen paid manuals online but I was hoping another Ithaca owner could help me out.
Thanks for your assistance.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 pm
I hope you enjoy your Ithaca 22 as much as I do mine. This is how I take mine down shown on a X5 factory cut away I picked up a few years ago. The break down is pretty much the same for both models.
First remove the stock screw.
Next remove the 2 screws holding the trigger assembly.
Next drift out the roll pin holding the breech plug. The plug can then be removed out of the back of the receiver followed by the bolt guide rods and springs.
The bolt charging handle will need to be removed before the bolt can be removed out the back. As I recall it should pull out like that of a semi-automatic shot gun including the Ithaca 51.
If you are going to remove the bolt hold open be gentle they are known to break and hard to find.
The trigger group can be taken down further. I had problems with a X5 prone to miss fire. I replaced the hammer spring and that solved the problem. Last I checked Numrich did not have any in stock; I had to rob the one out of cutaway.
Good luck, ask if you have more questions.

Return to Lightning Model