Need info on Flues double gun

1914-1923

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:32 pm
I just purchased an Ithaca Flues double side by side. I originally believed it to be a NID. The serial number is #268299. On the Ithaca site this appears to be a Flues model manufactured in 1916. I read elsewhere on this forum that the Flues requires low compression shells. Does anybody know anything about this? Any info would be much appreciated.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum JFriend !!

You've come to the right place...someone should be along shortly with an answer to your question

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:49 am
There are two questions that you need to ask before you decide if you can shoot modern ammo.
First, does it have Damascus or fluid steel barrels?
Second, are the barrels chambered for 2 3/4" shells.
Even if it has the shorter chambers, you can either have them lengthened or else use the 2 1/2" shells that are available.
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:33 pm
Yes, your Flues should be used only with low pressure loads such as from Polywad or RST. Also, a weakness with the Flues model was the possibility of the frame cracking . Using modern, high pressure loads may only cause this to happen. The pressures of today's modern loads are far more than what they were with early smokeless powder. You should also have your chamber length measured. They could be ordered with 2 3/4" chambers although Ithaca didn't recommend it at the time. I have a 20 gauge Flues that has 2 3/4" chambers. It is a very nice, light handling gun.

Return to Flues Model