Stock cracked and broke

1914-1923

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 am
Where the metal hits on the wood at the top of the receiver the wood has been split for awhile. I tried to glue it back together it but it failed to hold. The wood was backened from use. Before gluing I tried to clean the wood with acetone. Any suggestions on the best thing to do next?

Either buy a precut stock blank and refit it, or cut away some of the existing stock to clean wood and glue on a new piece of wood on is what I figure the options are.

I have some polywad shells to use once it's fixed. I think the low brass shells 30 years ago were not as potent as they are now. Didn't take long to break it. Should have been more careful. :cry:
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm
Is it split like this ?

If so, I held mine open while soaking it in acetone, then used a good waterproof wood glue and clamped it while it dried

Show a picture

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:56 pm
It has cracked less on one side and on the left side the piece has come off. You say soaking in acetone and then gluing works. That might be worth a try.

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. Thanks.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 pm
Was this a 16 or 20 gauge gun? If so, it might have short chambers - the use of 2 3/4" shells in such a gun can cause extra recoil and that might have led to the problem. I'm not saying you started the problem, this has been going on for 75+ years since the longer shells became standard.

Even if the chamber length is 2 3/4", most Flues guns are over 90 years old and wood that old is susceptible to cracking. That blackened wood you mentioned is probably due to years of over-oiling that has seeped into the stock and weakened it. I have a few guns in my collection with the same problem.

I think you are wise to limit shooting of this gun to Polywad or RST shells after you repair it. Most of them are 2.5" shells and they are designed for low recoil.

Let us know your repair turns out.

Return to Flues Model