what too look for

1921-1947

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:55 pm
local shop has one of these nitro specials in 12GA

it SN starts 243 and i think that puts it in 26?
has 30" bbls and a shell extractor,
theres no pitting i can see and everything feels tight,however
while all there and not damaged the woods finish is pretty beat up.

my question is what should i be looking for and in what price ranges?
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:15 pm
A couple of things to look for Twisted. First I like to check the the forend for any sign of cracks. I also check them for any loosening. give it a little wiggle. It should feel secure. Check the unlocking lever. It should either point to the right slightly or point straight down. if it points to the left that is a sign of wear in either the lug and/or the underbolt.
Next, take the barrels off, hold it by the lumps and tap each one wit ha pencil eraser. They should ping nice an clear. If it thuds or worse. rattles, that is a sign of a separation in the rib. try to slightly wiggle the stock from the receiver. It if feels loose it could be a loose stock bolt, or softened wood inside, possibly due to over oiling or water. There are other things, but these are really tell tale signs of wear and tear.

The prices can range widely from 600 for exc+ to 250 for a "good" grade gun (sounds like yours) to 100 for a parts special. single triggers and ejectors can add a premium and 20 gauge and 410 guns can double if not triple the prices (especially .410).
--Jim

Return to Lefever Nitro Special