Comeback of the .22LR

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 pm
Does Ithaca have any intent to bring back a .22LR? Maybe a revisit of the magazine tube fed lever action?
bkmeis
First gun-Ithaca 37 Featherlight 20g
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am
I have not heard of any intentions yet and they have a couple products in the works at the moment.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:08 pm
None that I am aware, but after the misstep with the break actions I am sure they'd keep any plans close to the vest.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 pm
My brother bought one of the M-72 saddle gun repeaters and I think I got more use out of it than he did! :lol:

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am
Would very much like to see Ithaca produce a top ejecting lever action .22 again.There were some problems with their old Model 49R that would have to be corrected however.First off the rifle had ejection problems that would have to be addressed.Second the lever loop needs to be larger to allow for the use of mittens/gloves in cold weather.

The Model 72 Ithaca was manufactured in West Germany.It had side ejection.

In the past I have owned both rifles.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:21 am
I had envisioned pump action, octagon barrel, breakdown, external hammer, crescent butt metal butt plate, rabbit ear sights (peep sight would be even better) and "Ithaca" with a small game scene on the receiver. Something a little more special than the .22's that are manufactured today that would retain/accelerate in value as I handed it down to my grand kids, & so on. What .22's can truly compete with the likes of a Winchester 1890 or a Colt Lightning in this day and age. I don't see today's .22's as the quality heirloom as the ones of yesteryear. I believe Ithaca has the ability to pull that off with the right advertising and marketing finesse. The solid workmanship would do the rest. The model name would have to convey legacy, craftsmanship, conviction and pride in ownership.
Sometimes I get alittle over passionate, but I'm sure my point has been made.
Who knows, maybe Ithaca can expand to pump centerfire and not just be a mainstay for pump shotguns, but pump rifles.
bkmeis

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 am
That's a pretty heavy agenda for any company these days! I prefer Ithaca Gun Company LLC to remain on the conservitave side first concentrating on what they do best, making the finest shotguns in the world. I've found that as a rather small company right now, their customer service is excellent, probably the best of any firearms manufacturer and I would like to see it stay that way.

I'm not opposed to the company growing and expanding their line, I just want to see it grow on a solid foundation. A pump .22 would be nice, but how about something on the lines of Winchester's old Model 61? It would be a lot more lawyer proof than the 1890-1906-M62 as evidenced by Taurus and their copy with the little safety on the bolt, (seems lawyers just hate a hammer gun for some reason and force the manufacturers to add stupid clumbsy add on safetys). Just an opinion.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 am
I certainly don't disagree with your approach, krag. And as for the lawyering part of the idea, a change in the times demands a change in development. I'll agree I don't always like it, but understand.
Ah, it's just one man's desire...

Since we've broached the subject of conservative ideals, what do you think of Ithaca's M Series Carbine? I never saw that coming.
bkmeis

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:47 pm
I'm not against seeing a faithful reintroduction of Winchester's 1890-1906-M-62, I just don't like added safetys where there were none originally. Those rifles worked for many years, and safely in the hands of youngsters, (including myself) hunters and farmers. I think that a reintroduction of the Winchester Model 61 hammerless may do better for Ithaca.

As for the M-4 carbine, I hope they're sucessful in getting a Gov't contract, and producing them for the civillian market! I own a Colt lower with a CMMG NM upper myself and may look into an Ithaca with all the stuff I have laying around to feed it. ;)

I do wish the company well and hope they never abandon quality over quanity, the M-37 is the only high quality repeating shotgun made by craftsmen on the market since the demise of the Winchester M-12, (it's only real compitition).
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm
Nothing beats the venerable .22 for plinking fun...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:30 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:Nothing beats the venerable .22 for plinking fun...

You're right, no worrys about picking up the empty cases to reload! :D All fun, no work.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:10 pm
If a .22 pump, why not a miniature M37? An ambidextrous bottom eject alternative to the Browning .22 auto.

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Ithaca