1937 model 37 question

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:56 am
I thought they went to a double extractor about SN 2500 but double checking Walts book I find they went to double extractors at #2200.
So double extractors and looks of the wood it looks to me like an original first year 37

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:57 pm
Every now and again I run into a gun that does not match up exactly with factory records. It seems as though some of the records allowed for a margin of error. I knew the gun was a little late for the single extractor but I figured it was worth a shot. Either way there where only 3,500 first year guns so it is a delight to hear about one when it "turns up".
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 am
1977cutcher wrote:Every now and again I run into a gun that does not match up exactly with factory records. It seems as though some of the records allowed for a margin of error. I knew the gun was a little late for the single extractor but I figured it was worth a shot. Either way there where only 3,500 first year guns so it is a delight to hear about one when it "turns up".

Sometimes in manufacturing You will grab "available parts" trying to meet a deadline or a big order.
That would account for variations in serial number records.
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:28 pm
Your new/old 37 is just the kind of gun I like to find. You've got a lot of gunk on the wood. If you scrub it lightly with furniture soap it will come up and not hurt the wood. Sometimes, if the wood is bad enough I strip it with Jasco Paint Remover and then touch it lightly with wet sand paper. I wet the wood first so that the fine "hairs" stand up, then I take them down. I restain it and put on some kind of varnish. If you buy one of those stock refinishing kits it will work fine. However don't overdue it. You don't want too much sheen, more like a dull glow.

I have a 37 that looks as if the rolled engraving has indeed been touched up.

While I try not to pay too much for a gun, I sometimes do. Usually the value of your gun will catch up with what you paid for it. Just enjoy your gun. I think it is great.

The forearm looks "right" to me.

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Ithaca