Historical Overview of the Ithaca Gun Company

Moderator: ripjack13

Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 pm
Historical Overview of the Ithaca Gun Company

•1883~William Henry Baker and partners go into business as Ithaca Gun Company, start making side by side shotguns

•1937~The John Browning designed Model 37® is put into production at Ithaca

•1967~Ithaca Gun Company is sold to what will become General Recreation, Inc.

•1987~Ithaca Acquisition, Inc. moves gunmaking operations to King Ferry, NY. Changes name of Model 37® to Model 87.

•1996~Ithaca Gun Company, LLC changes name of the Ithaca pump gun back to Model 37®

•2005~Ithaca Guns USA, LLC of Upper Sandusky, OH purchases Ithaca Gun's assets, starts M37 production

•2007~Ithaca Gun Company acquires the assets of Ithaca Guns USA, LLC and continues moving forward in Ohio, bringing modern techniques and ideas to gunmaking
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:31 am
I remember when I heard the Kings Ferry Operation closed its doors. It was a sad day as I figured they were gone for good. Nobody was happier than I when I heard the line was being resurrected.
The news ones look and feel better than ever.
--Jim
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:51 pm
I know I was extremely happy to see the brand resurrected!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:58 pm
DHonovich wrote:I know I was extremely happy to see the brand resurrected!

Same here! I have long liked Ithaca, and knew very little about them, but here we are! I'm enjoying what I'm reading and learning!!!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:06 am
It's nice to know that there is still quality produced firearms made right here in the states! You hear about marlin being bought out by Remington now everyone on marlinowners are complaining about lack of quality. Winchester 94s are being made in Japan now, and so on. It's just nice that Ithaca has stayed true.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:29 am
I had never heard of them until the day my brother gave me the model 37. But...I was hooked.
Former Admin

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:07 am
Pikeslayer5 wrote:It's nice to know that there is still quality produced firearms made right here in the states! You hear about marlin being bought out by Remington now everyone on marlinowners are complaining about lack of quality. Winchester 94s are being made in Japan now, and so on. It's just nice that Ithaca has stayed true.

Amen to that! It's good to have a company here making guns the way they should be made. I considder the 37' to be priced right. No, it's not cheap and you won't find them in the big box stores, but they are affordable quality made here.

A coworker has a fairly new Browning single shot trap gun, made in China! All I can do is shake my head. :cry:
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:29 pm
krag96 wrote:
Pikeslayer5 wrote:It's nice to know that there is still quality produced firearms made right here in the states! You hear about marlin being bought out by Remington now everyone on marlinowners are complaining about lack of quality. Winchester 94s are being made in Japan now, and so on. It's just nice that Ithaca has stayed true.

Amen to that! It's good to have a company here making guns the way they should be made. I considder the 37' to be priced right. No, it's not cheap and you won't find them in the big box stores, but they are affordable quality made here.

A coworker has a fairly new Browning single shot trap gun, made in China! All I can do is shake my head. :cry:

I have long been a fan of Ithaca, they seem to have character, more so than other pump guns (which I enjoy also!) I have always felt that pumps in general have a natural balance of proportion and functionality, looks and aesthetics and the 37 is the most balanced of all. It is my aim to somehow get one of the new ones, I have emailed the factory a couple of times with no response as yet. It would be king of my collection! With regard to Browning, I have a 2015 12g BPS made by Miroku in Japan, it is a fine gun and shoots well. Yes it would be wonderful if all the American legends were still made in America but I wonder if those of us in the rest of the world would ever get to see them if they were? We in the UK are awash with Turkish guns ( I have a Hatsan semi auto 3rd gen which is a decent, if characterless shotgun) With manufacturers having their product made in the most cost effective place (why wouldn't they) as long as quality and design is maintained what is wrong with that. I, for one, hope that Ithaca can lead the way, showing the flag (well I was born on the 4th July!) and market their superior product the world over. lets face it if the Phoenix ever makes it past prototype, the Brits and other Europeans will be falling over themselves to get one. Maybe then, the tide would turn and strong, solid American engineering and steel would be back in our stores. Yes, it would probably cost more, but quality always does and the shooting fraternity, at least all those that I know would always opt for quality. Look at Harley Davidson, they've been through the commercial grinder over the years but look at them now, there is hardly a capital city in the world without an HD dealership. American steel sold worldwide. For now I have my Model 37, my XL1200 Sportster Custom, my Fender Telecaster(Japan) and my Chevy Captiva SUV (Korea) and a love of most things American (when I can get them)
I have mentioned elsewhere about importing to the UK but we are hampered by restrictive trading laws, exorbitant carriage costs and greedy customs authorities. Free Market I don't think so! Just hope that if we pull out of the EEC (European Economic Community) ( referendum this year we hope) that we will free up trading with the US
Best regards
Roland

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:01 am
From an American perspective yes trading seems to be very lopsided. Our laws make it easy for other countries to dump steel, cars, oil, and various other products in our markets yet it is near impossible for our businesses to import into other countries. It is an issue that the common American holds against Washington yet we seem to get no results from our law makers. We are currently in the beginning of our election cycle for President and I do have hope, but we will see. Donald Trump seems promising but then again who knows.

I am curious, you seem to have a number of shotguns. I was under the impression that England made it very difficult to own more that one or two similar type firearms.

As far as your Smith and Wesson goes, you do see them in around in these parts but not very often. They have been out of production for some time. Parts are not easy to come by and they do not hold value very well. The tang safety is often found on some of our lower end "hard ware store grade" guns. The barrel attachment is similar to a Remington 31. My thought is that a group of engineers threw a bunch of good ideas at a gun that never really caught on.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:15 pm
Well as most of you know I do have a lot of Ithacas I currently have 43 of them. All were bought in Canada. A lot of the parts I did purchase from the USA. I am finding that it is almost impossible to buy from the USA now as the problem is getting them out of the USA. I have no problem with the Canadian border, it is the USA border. Apparently I can go anywhere in the USA with gun parts, but as soon as I try to leave (into Canada) I could be fined up to $10,000 and be put in jail. I need an export permit and the right export numbers (each part might have a different number). I was told that I could ask Border Services to look up the number for me but it might take up to six months. The USA Border guards told me "they just don't want people outside of the USA to get our guns" The last time I tried to get a butt stock across they refused me. IT'S A PIECE OF WOOD! I love my Ithacas am just wish it was a little easier to access the USA market for parts. Donald
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:26 pm
1977cutcher wrote:From an American perspective yes trading seems to be very lopsided. Our laws make it easy for other countries to dump steel, cars, oil, and various other products in our markets yet it is near impossible for our businesses to import into other countries. It is an issue that the common American holds against Washington yet we seem to get no results from our law makers. We are currently in the beginning of our election cycle for President and I do have hope, but we will see. Donald Trump seems promising but then again who knows.

I am curious, you seem to have a number of shotguns. I was under the impression that England made it very difficult to own more that one or two similar type firearms.

As far as your Smith and Wesson goes, you do see them in around in these parts but not very often. They have been out of production for some time. Parts are not easy to come by and they do not hold value very well. The tang safety is often found on some of our lower end "hard ware store grade" guns. The barrel attachment is similar to a Remington 31. My thought is that a group of engineers threw a bunch of good ideas at a gun that never really caught on.

Hi
Mr Trump is getting bad press over here from the liberal lefties, but he is as far as I can see first and foremost a hugely successful businessman who wants to put America first. I don't think any American would be against that. All the Americans that I have known over the years have been fiercely patriotic irrespective of their politics. Its one of the things in the UK that worries me, the dilution of our heritage and the fear of speaking out and being labelled as reactionary. But, I digress, I love my country and would give all to protect her.
With regard to UK shot gun ownership, there are 2 levels; section 1 which is "multi shot", i.e. any shot gun with a total capacity of more than 3 rounds and section 2 which is "shotgun", that is any single shot, double barrel, and pump (lever) or auto with a magazine capacity permanently restricted to 2 rounds (+ 1 in chamber) This restriction is by means of a crimp on the mag tube. This crimp does not affect the working of the gun but does men that the follower can never be removed (difficult for deep clean) My shotguns are held on section 2 and there is no actual limit imposed, other than secure storage. I have a metal 8 gun safe which was approved by the local police authority. I could install another or many if I wished. It is my intention to collect those pump guns that interest me and I foresee no immediate limit to that. I also shoot an Arrieta sidelock and a Feg over/under. I am in the throes of applying for my section 1 licence which does take time but I foresee no problems there. The main difference with section 1 is that I will have to specify which guns I wish to acquire, calibre, type etc. rifles and other non restricted guns are also on section 1. We cannot own and keep at home, self loading full-bore rifles and handguns. There are some dispensations for classic and historical handguns where the guns are kept in an armoury at the range.
We work with the laws and shooting in the UK is quite healthy, personally I shoot sporting clays, skeet, compak, game and ipsc disciplines, the latter the reason for high capacity shotgun requirement (3 shots definitely teaches ammo awareness!)
Love your quote about engineers! how often that happens in life!
Regards
Roland

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:42 pm
Well that clears up some of my misconceptions about UK gun laws. I can say that I consider myself fortunate to live where I do. Except for full automatic fire arms and some short barreled fire arms (shot guns with barrels under 18 inches) I am not restricted in owning any type or number of firearms. If I do wish to own short barreled or full automatic fire arm I would have to apply for a tax stamp. After receiving the stamp (one per restricted fire arm) I can store and shoot it as I deem appropriate provided I do not break any laws. In addition to the above I am allowed to after passing a course carry a concealed pistol on my person. You are not however allowed to carry a pistol on school grounds, or other restricted government establishments (jails, court room, and the like). Business owners are also allowed to prohibit concealed carried as well. Open carry is allowed at all time however you are likely to raise eyebrows, and attract unwanted attention from local authorities.

As far a Trump goes yes he does get a lot of bad press from the left. One of the things that I notice is that he is also respected by many of the world leaders that much of the world fears. I guess we will see what happens.

We do have a cousin that teaches at Oxford. He specializes in the country of Burma / Myanmar. We Keep in touch via Skype and they do come home every so often. They do enjoy England quite a bit however they also miss home. According to them many thing are similar however there are a number of things that are quite different (they are not really gun people so that not what they are referring to).

By the by one of my favorite songs is Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner by Warren Zevon.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:14 pm
I've not heard that song before, Warren Zevon not too big over here. However, I looked it up, what a great song!
Thanks for that
Roland

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:54 pm
You may get a kick out of his "Ware-wolfs of London" as well.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 am
I actually do know that one! was used in movie of same name ! maybe I will look up W Z catalogue, as probably do know some of his material. I was raised on Led Zeppelin, Groundhogs and most late '60s early '70s blues-rock. which leads me to my next acquisition.... Ready for my Section 1 licence, I have purchased, and its in storage with the dealer, a 1971 mod 37 10 shot. I had to grab this one while it was available and whilst in the dealers I gave it a full strip down. The blue is good and internally it seems almost un-used. The Mag is non Ithaca I believe, but I will check further once I get my hot little hands on it at home. Everything works and all is good in the world!!! :D
Attachments
Mod 37 s1.jpg
Mod 37 s1.jpg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 97078 times

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:57 pm
Never heard of a 10 shot before. the most I have ever come across is a 8 shot. The barrel lug is right at the muzzle, never seen that before either. My guess is that it has been modified at some point. At first glance it does appear to be of good work though.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:46 pm
To get this thread back on track, I believe that I see the future of the model 37............ The company and shotguns in general.......Now if only I was an engineer, talented and brave! I handled today a Valtro PM5. Now, if the team at Sandusky could machine a 37 receiver with a mag well, what a tool that would be! The Valtro (made by Brixia now apparently) is a bit rough and ready but the balance with a full magazine (10 or 7) seemed spot on to me. With Ithaca quality machining and finish it would be a world beater. Obviously we would lose the bottom eject but with a solid receiver it could eject selectively left or right or maybe I'm losing the plot here and rambling........I'll keep taking the pills dear!!
Attachments
Valtro Brixia.jpg
Valtro Brixia.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 97050 times
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:12 am
Since posting the above ramblings, I have done a bit of research and have seen the Adaptive Tactical Box mag kit for the Mossberg 500/590, now, would that not be a nice bit of kit on a 37? I am sure that there would be a myriad of technical difficulties, but how cool would that gun be? Come on Sandusky!!!!! The future awaits!

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Ithaca