EX1

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:10 pm
I have been digesting the fantastic information in my new copy of 'The Ithaca Gun Company from the beginning' by Walter Snyder and have been struck by a small inclusion in the 'Historic Guns' list, that of a gas operated 20g model 37, serial number EX1
It has long occurred to me that the smooth action of the 37 would lend itself to self loading, and obviously this was investigated back in 1950.
I wonder if this gun still exists, of if diagrams or dare I say photographs are available.
It would be one of the most desirable collectors pieces, does anyone know its whereabouts?
Maybe the Current Ithaca Gun Co. still have it ready to develop? We can but hope!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:38 pm
Ithaca ran out a lot of experimental guns back in the day(50s).
some were pump models ,tho nobody could really tell what was experimental about them.
these guns and the semi auto EX1 were sold off when Ithaca was liqudated.
it ended up in a private collection.
several years ago I faintly recall it came on the market but I can't remember where it went.
I'm thinking it was a private museum
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 am
Thanks for that Twisted, I've always thought that a bottom eject auto would be a great gun, Remington and Beretta have tried with not too much success, who knows? maybe a whole new line of Ithaca's was stopped at birth back then? Or maybe it just didn't work! I would love to know though! Possibly the private museum will one day open its collection for perusal!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:36 am
Ok so to muddy the waters a little more, I have just been reading an article by Irwin Greenstein of Shotgunlife .com about the Phoenix Over/Under shotgun, to quote;

In 1945, Ithaca had built a one-of-a-kind 12-gauge, over/under prototype. As the Model 51, it had serial number EX1, for experimental 1. It now appears that the new Phoenix is a direct descendant of that orphaned masterpiece.

This caused me to re-read my copy of Mr Snyders great book on the Ithaca Gun Company and indeed there was in 1945 an O/U model 51 serial number EX1 ! Especially also calling it the Model 51 which as a semi auto would not appear until 1970! Confusing or what?

5 years later in 1950, a Model 37 self loader (which piqued my initial interest) was also numbered EX1.

Furthermore, after more detailed reading it appears that, in 1965, a 26" barrelled 12g Side by Side was built also numbered EX1!

Now I think that the Ithaca Gun Co. made and still makes great guns, but they were not very inventive with their prototype numbering! and now that makes 3 guns that I would like to see! I truly hope that they are together somewhere and that one day the owner/custodian will read this and show them to the world.
Unique they definitely are, probably priceless but as a piece of OUR Gun companies history I am sure all readers would be fascinated to see what might have been

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 pm
Last I knew Walt had the over and under. There was a prototype Ithaca semi auto floating around on the internet for sale a couple of years ago. I did not have the money to buy it at the time and have since lost track of it.

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Ithaca