1902 Lewis Model

1902-1906

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:17 pm
I found an old "New Ithaca" hammer gun in the rafters of my grandmother's barn while it was being torn down. Not in the greatest shape, but not horrible. Damascus barrels, Marked "AA 12" and serial numbered 73957. Stock is pretty good but is chipped up near back of receiver. New stock would be good. Any information you might have would be helpful. Looks like it has 32 inch barrels but no markings. Would like to have it cosmetically restored (redo Damascus barrels, new stock, recolor receiver (am assuming the original was case-colored). Any info on good places to have this done?
Thanks. dj

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 pm
Ithaca's second model made, 1903 production. Ithaca started in 1885 so an overall very early piece. Black powder or low pressure loads only, and the chamber may not be 2&3/4 inch. Have it inspected and you can have them reamed if you so choose. Other wise you will need to locate proper shells. There are places that can bring this old gun back to glory however you better not forget to bring your wallet. To have a stock made and finished for an old double can exceed the value of the gun in some cases. My recommendation would be to research the value of a gun similar to yours in good condition and compare that to what it would cost to re finish your gun. I do not believe that the current Ohio Ithaca works on that vintage of a double however it would not hurt to ask them, they may even be able to point you to some one who does. There is also Diamond gun smith in New York, you will find his information in the vendor section of this forum. Doug Turnbull restorations could do it but they specialize in high quality (high priced) work. There is also Ron Sharp in Canada. Would love to see some pictures!

Return to Lewis & Nig Model