Parts for old shotgun, serial # 8206

1888-1901

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 pm
I am new to this forum and frankly, not a gun guy but I found an old shotgun in parts in my dads garage and for some reason, I feel compelled to clean it up and put it back together in functioning order more for sentimental reasons even if it is never fired again.

Here is the basic information I have been able to get off the internet as it relates to my project. The serial # is 8206 which the Ithaca Gun site puts it at manufactured in 1888 and a NIG model. It has double damascus barrels which I have been told are 10ga. Printed on the barrel is "Ithaca Gun Company, London Twist" and "New Ithaca Gun" on both sides of the body of the gun. It has some rust and pitting but not bad condition considering it has been in pieces for at least 50 years.

The first major problem with the gun is there is no stock. I have the forend piece but the stock is nowhere to be found. I am a woodworker and since historical accuracy and practical functionality are not critical, I wouldn't mind taking on the challenge of making a stock for it. It has the firing pins and the hammers do strike them when the triggers are pulled but I believe there is a missing spring that helps keep the gun closed and part of the "safety" mechanism is broken.

So, are there parts still available for a gun of its age and what type of wood is typical of stocks of this vintage.

Any thoughts and advise would be eagerly welcomed.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:10 pm
Try contacting one of the vendors in the the vendor section of this forum.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:10 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Tony !!

Sounds like a worthwhile project...good luck !

Here are a few links to contacts for parts:

http://ithacagun.com/

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:36 pm
WOW sounds super cool!!!!! I'd love to see some pics.... Before and after if possible :) good luck on the build
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:29 am
A worn safety is not uncommon in older doubles. The good news is that it is not a difficult thing to rectify. Your name brand guns used walnut the "generics" used mostly birch.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:59 am
Thanks for all your encouragement and advise. I did get in touch with a vendor regarding parts and he said there are none available off the shelf. I'll keep looking. As far as a stock goes, he said they start at $1,000 so I guess I'll be making one myself.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 am
Sounds like a great project Tony...keep us in the loop as it materializes !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 am
Cheers for you Tony for having such idea.
"I think having a blackhawk is enough to consider complete and strong."

Return to Crass & Nig Model