Got to shoot the Cherry Crass today!

1888-1901

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:50 am
Well folks, I finally got to get the Cherry Crass out and run it through it's paces, rather than just the rain-shortened run at skeet a week ago.
This time, I got to shoot 2 full rounds of trap
First round, I was just figuring out how it shoot. In fact, I didn't hit a single bird with the left barrel until the 2nd station, when I figured that you have to cover the bird just a bit more, Finally finished with a 14, which isn't good, but I was concentrating more on the gun than the birds,
Second time through, we had a special match for 2-barrel guns that we called "personal protection" :lol: This was simply where you could fire a second shot at the bird. Finished with a 21, and I got at least 2 birds with my second shot. :o
All in all, I was very pleased with the performance!
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:32 pm
Nice job Skeeter! What did you fire through it?
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:50 pm
Shot my standard Damascus barrel load in the first round:
Rem. Gun Club hull
CCI 209 primer
21 gr. of PB powder
Claybuster CB1100-12 wad
7/8 oz of #8 shot.

When we went to the "personal protection" round, I shot the same round in the first barrel, but in the second barrel, I had the same load except it had 1 oz. of #7 1/2

Both shot weights work very well, both in this gun, as well as the Fletcher Special. If I was shooting more trap, I would load more of the 1 oz., but the first load works great at skeet, especially with #9's!
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:47 pm
BPskeeter wrote:Shot my standard Damascus barrel load in the first round:
Rem. Gun Club hull
CCI 209 primer
21 gr. of PB powder
Claybuster CB1100-12 wad
7/8 oz of #8 shot.

When we went to the "personal protection" round, I shot the same round in the first barrel, but in the second barrel, I had the same load except it had 1 oz. of #7 1/2

Both shot weights work very well, both in this gun, as well as the Fletcher Special. If I was shooting more trap, I would load more of the 1 oz., but the first load works great at skeet, especially with #9's!

Pretty nice, Skeeter. With the 7/8 shot it must pattern like a dream. 20 gauge load through a 12 gauge barrel would keep that shot string nice and tight.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 pm
Some of the guys on the skeet forum on Shotgunworld got me started using the 7/8 oz load in my regular loads, with a Win. primer and 19.1 grs of Claydot and #9's. I will switch that to #8's, and it is a good load for 16-yd trap, and then go up to 1 oz for any handicap. I very rarely shoot 1 1/8 oz anymore.

The difference in using CCI primers and PB powder in the loads intended for Damascus is that PB has a slower burn rate, so there isn't that immediate pressure spike on the barrels. And the nice thing, too, is that recoil is more of a push, rather than a hit.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 am
BPskeeter wrote:Some of the guys on the skeet forum on Shotgunworld got me started using the 7/8 oz load in my regular loads, with a Win. primer and 19.1 grs of Claydot and #9's. I will switch that to #8's, and it is a good load for 16-yd trap, and then go up to 1 oz for any handicap. I very rarely shoot 1 1/8 oz anymore.

The difference in using CCI primers and PB powder in the loads intended for Damascus is that PB has a slower burn rate, so there isn't that immediate pressure spike on the barrels. And the nice thing, too, is that recoil is more of a push, rather than a hit.

I can believe it. it is amazing how much recoil can wear you down over a period of time. low pressure loads can also save your hulls as well as your shoulder! I went down .5 grain on my 28 gauge loads and I can get an extra 2 reloads out of them!
--Jim

Return to Crass & Nig Model