Model 51 broken carrier release

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:50 pm
Im new to working on a 51. Its not cycling completely, IE it doesn't load the next shell automatically. Nearly all the forums suggested replacing the action spring and the buffers as well as inspect the slide assembly for cracks. Ive done these things, but it still doesnt cycle.

Ive discovered the carrier release has a broken / missing tab. (See picture). I plan to replace it. Ive been studying the operation and can't understand what catches the carrier release. The underside of the slide assembly is basically smooth. It would seem to me that there should be some sort of catch to hook the carrier release and pull it back.

Thanks for your replys.
Attachments
51 Slide (1).jpg
51 Slide (1).jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 44840 times
51 Slide (2).jpg
51 Slide (2).jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 44840 times
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:20 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:20 pm
As far as your question, I'll leave it to the experts here.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:32 pm
why would it need to be pulled back?
its a gas assisted inertia system.

is the old shell ejected?
if so I would start looking at the trigger pack timing and if the mag shell stop springs are working properly

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:12 pm
twistedoak wrote:why would it need to be pulled back?
its a gas assisted inertia system.

is the old shell ejected?
if so I would start looking at the trigger pack timing and if the mag shell stop springs are working properly

As the pressure pushes the bolt and slide assembly back it has to also catch and pull back this carrier release about 1/4 inch so that the carrier will lift the next shell up into the chamber. I cant find anything that does this on the slide assembly.
Ive now installed a new carrier release but something is still missing.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:58 am
Is the old round clearing the ejection port?
is a new round dropping out of the mag tube?

the 51 still uses shell stops similar to the 37 principle
the bolt slides motion rearward depresses the shell stops which in turn releases a new round out of the magazine tube to fall onto the carrier

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:33 pm
The spent shell is extracting and ejecting but the new shell cant load because the carrier cant release to lift it up. The carrier must be released by the carrier release, but this isnt happening.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 pm
ok so the new round is falling out onto the lifter carrier...?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:16 pm
Ive attached 2 pics. The first shows the trigger group in battery. The hammer is retracted, the carrier is down and locked and held by the carrier release. Its the silver part at the right side of trigger group and intertwined with the carrier (long lever thing).
Battery.jpg
Battery
Battery.jpg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 44775 times

The next picture shows the trigger group as fired. The hammer is up and carrier release is back (only 1/4 inch) and the carrier is now up. This can only happen if something on the slide pushes the carrier release back. My impression is that something must contact the 2 small "bunny ears" ontop of the carrier release.
Fired.jpg
Fired
Fired.jpg (170.37 KiB) Viewed 44775 times

The slide assembly, with bolt, rides ontop of the trigger group and is supposed to connect with the carrier release. This isnt happening.
slide.jpg
slide assembly
slide.jpg (107.7 KiB) Viewed 44775 times
Last edited by Komputatek on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:21 pm
Yes Twistedoak, the new shell is lying ontop of the carrier.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:44 pm
Another question that the answer may solve my function problems.
Which end of the bolt does the buffer go in, the extractor end or the hammer end?

Thanks
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:01 pm
hammer side for bolt buffer.

from what I can see the bolt slide never comes in contact with the carrier release or the "bunny ears"
the carrier stays in the down position until the bolt slide finishes its rearward movement.it is however under spring tension.
if you carefully reach in and depress the "bunny ears" it should spring up
at the very end of the stroke the shell stop is levered and it dumps the shell out of the mag.
once the bolt slide begins to move forward the carrier is triggered to spring to the up position.

now what exactly triggers this , i'm not to sure of.
it could be in the trigger pack ,I say this because the trigger pack is making more contact with the bolt slide then any part of the carrier is.
its hard to simulate the whole firing sequence without firing as all contact between trigger pack and bolt slide is hidden
but I do know from a locked back position it doesn't need much pressure on the "bunny ears" to release the bolt
now another possibility is that when the shell is released and pushed out of the mag the momentum of the shell maybe enough to release the carrier as it strikes it.
if this is the case a cleaning of the mag tube and a new spring could be a cure

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm
komputatek did a great job of explaining his problem. However I did not see any resolution to the issue. I'm having the exact problem. Does anyone have a fix?

Return to Discontinued Ithaca Models