Model 51 broken carrier release

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:44 pm
Another question that the answer may solve my function problems.
Which end of the bolt does the buffer go in, the extractor end or the hammer end?

Thanks
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:01 pm
hammer side for bolt buffer.

from what I can see the bolt slide never comes in contact with the carrier release or the "bunny ears"
the carrier stays in the down position until the bolt slide finishes its rearward movement.it is however under spring tension.
if you carefully reach in and depress the "bunny ears" it should spring up
at the very end of the stroke the shell stop is levered and it dumps the shell out of the mag.
once the bolt slide begins to move forward the carrier is triggered to spring to the up position.

now what exactly triggers this , i'm not to sure of.
it could be in the trigger pack ,I say this because the trigger pack is making more contact with the bolt slide then any part of the carrier is.
its hard to simulate the whole firing sequence without firing as all contact between trigger pack and bolt slide is hidden
but I do know from a locked back position it doesn't need much pressure on the "bunny ears" to release the bolt
now another possibility is that when the shell is released and pushed out of the mag the momentum of the shell maybe enough to release the carrier as it strikes it.
if this is the case a cleaning of the mag tube and a new spring could be a cure

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm
komputatek did a great job of explaining his problem. However I did not see any resolution to the issue. I'm having the exact problem. Does anyone have a fix?

Return to Discontinued Ithaca Models