Help Identifying Trap gun

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:18 pm
I have an old Ithaca single shot shotgun. It appears to be a trap model. I need some help identifying exactly what I have. Oh - my first post, so hello from Virginia in the rain :D

Here is what I have - the SN is V2909xx It has some scant factory engraving - just a little. On the side it reads "Ithaca Victory Grade Ithaca Gun CO. Ithaca. NY.USA" It looks to be a 12G. Barrel is 32", or 34" to rear of chamber. I have seen some guns called knick that look similar - but none of the listed SNs have a V proceeding or match the range of numbers. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:06 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Cernunnos !!

A few pictures of the barrel markings and any inscriptions would help us help you...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 pm
Here are some photos - please remember a photographer I am not :lol: Of course my resolution is too high and I would have no idea how to change that, so what actually posted is PART of each photo that I took. About 50%. Interestingly, there are no barrel markings - none. Not under the foregrip, not underthe barrel when removed, not on the receiver block. On the block is has "12" and pat pending - that's all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:45 pm
Good shots...!!

I will let the experts chime in on the particulars...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm
Still waiting for some help identifying this gun. I have looked at the published Ithaca serial numbers, and I cannot find any in this numerical range, nor any that start with the letter "V". I thought it may be because it is a Victory Grade, but have since looked at another Victory grade that did not have the V in the serial number. So at this point I have puzzled and puzzled until my puzziler hurts :lol:

Also - if anyone would be kind enough to let me know the rough estimate of its value, that would be most helpful. The lady I am helping with this gun (I am the only FFL she knows) received an extensive shotgun collection from her father when he passed many years ago. She has a son with some medical problems, and she is going to part with some of her dad's collection to help with the medical bills. Most of the guns I was able to attach a value to very quickly, but this is one of 3 that has me stumped. She is struggling to decide which few she wants to keep, and of course the value plays a role in that decision. So though I understand they would only be informed opinions, any thoughts on its value would be most appreciated.

If anyone can identify this gun, or at least direct me to where I can find that information, I would personally be very grateful.

Thanks!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:58 pm
Looks to be a Flues model single barrel trap. I would have to dig mine out to see if it has the V on it. Production for that gun appears to be about 1918. The metal and stock has been re finished. The receiver should be case color. My thought is $700 would be top dollar.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:03 am
1977cutcher wrote:Looks to be a Flues model single barrel trap. I would have to dig mine out to see if it has the V on it. Production for that gun appears to be about 1918. The metal and stock has been re finished. The receiver should be case color. My thought is $700 would be top dollar.

Thanks 1977cutcher! I was thinking that the "V" may be linked to the "Victory Grade" - but I do not know what that means. I am familiar with Pigeon grade shotguns, perhaps the Victory grade was because this was produced right after WWI? What a shame it was refinished over the case hardening. Well, I am at least getting some information on this gun.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 am
Oh, and one other bit of information. I did not get this in a photo, but the stock is a straight stock. No pistol grip or palm swell at all - just a straight butt stock like on a old lever action rifle.

Just wanted to toss that out there in case that has some bearing on this. I only add this because the only Flues I ever laid hands on, had a pistol grip stock, but I am sure that there were stock options on these.

Thanks again!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:50 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ithaca-V ... 787187.uts

http://www.gunsamerica.com/903853292/IT ... -GRADE.htm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 228688#PIC

The above search took all of 1 minute...anything else I can help you with !?

The serial numbers do not list ANY preceded by a "V" - I actually have that list printed out and sitting on my desk but could find no series that started with a V. And there is not a "Victory Grade" set of SNs so if it follows the Flues numbers this is a 1918 gun, but none of the listed ones have a V preceding. None of the links but the last one on Gun Broker have a stock that looks close to this one. All of the others are pistol grips, this is a straight stock. I suppose the stock types were options, but that gun broker one looks like a match! Well, except that it is original and not refinished like this one. I cannot help but wonder why anyone would blue over a case finish...sigh. Thanks for the links!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 pm
Not a problem...

Have you tried talking to Ithaca directly...?

Ithaca Gun Company

420 N. Warpole Street
Upper Sandusky, OH 43351

Phone: 1-877-6ITHACA - (877-648-4222)
FAX: 419-294-3230

Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time

Dealer Inquiries: dealer@ithacagun.com

Service Inquiries: service@ithacagun.com

General Email: contact@ithacagun.com

http://www.ithacagun.com/serviceoverview.php

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:04 pm
The single barrel flues trap gun serial numbers ran concurrent with the side by side flues guns. They did not have their own block. The Victory grade was a "budget line" trap gun the name had nothing to do with WI that I know of. My Victory grade flues has a straight stock and I believe all Victory grade guns had a straight stock unless they where special ordered. I dug mine out and it does have a V proceeding the serial number.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:09 am
1977,thanks that clears up a lot. I will try contacting the company with the info shooter13 provided, and see if they will give me anything, but if yours has a V that explains what I have been looking at. Thanks again, both of you =)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:30 pm
No problem...glad to help !!

Return to Discontinued Ithaca Models