Ithaca Mod. 37 Malfunction

This is the place to post anything and everything related to the functional aspects of this site.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 pm
an under sized rim could cause it ,but in my mind finding a rim that undersized would be unusual
id be more interested in the carrier.
if the forks were "racked" it could possibly grab a shell.
but if I had to make a guess I'd go with the carrier fingers being "spread"
initially you would think the receiver sides would keep the fingers from spreading enough to let a shell rim past and for the most part that's correct .
however
at the very top of the receiver there is room for the ends of the carrier fingers to spread out wider then normal.
incidentally this is in the same area as the extractors kick loose the spent shell.
if for instance the top extractor sticks for a fraction of a sec or the spread of the carrier fingers is a bit wider then specs or a combo of both a spent shell could theoretically end up on the incoming side of the carrier
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 am
I worked with one this morning that I have apart, in this case a 16ga receiver. This is what I found out.

1. if the shell is fully extracted, it would be almost impossible to slip the fingers over the rim as the rim is then past the relieved area of the receiver and at the thick part of the fingers. as long as the rim is large enough in diameter, I was using a good Remington Hi Velocity hunting load shell

2. if the shell is partially extracted and then the extractor hooks lose the shell while the rim is in the area of the relieved part of the receiver, then there is the possibility of an energetic cycling of the action to pop the fingers over the rim

3. due to the mechanical nature of the design and the fact that the shell lifter assembly is cammed by the slide, the lifter/fingers don't move until further into the sequence of actions

4. then there is the issue that if the shell does hang then it will still be in the chamber and not turned sideways

so for this to happen, the extractors would have to lose a shell early in the extraction process, have the shell NOT be sticky so that it continues out and then turns at an angle to be able to hit the next shell

there is an event that we are not seeing yet that causes this to happen as there is not a lot of room in the receiver for this to align just right

turn a gun over and slowly watch when each event happens as the action is cycled.

we all know about double feeds due to the spring shell stop being sticky or out of time or the spring being weak

I still think it is centered around the shells as opposed to the gun, as a gun would have to be terribly neglected, worn and dirty to do this.

Return to Ithaca Owners Site Support