Machetes

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:04 pm
My Khukuri...

The pronunciation "Kukri" is of western origin, the Nepalese people to whom this weapon belongs pronounce it as "Khukuri."

The blade's distinctive forward drop is intended to act as a weight on the end of the blade and make the kukri fall on the target faster and with more power. Popular legend states that a Gurkha "never sheathes his blade without first drawing blood" (this is said to be what the small, sharp notch on the blade near the handle is for: in case you wanted to draw your kukri for a non-militant purpose, and needed to draw blood before sheathing your knife. You could scrape your thumb on the notch, draw blood, and sheathe your knife without breaking tradition).
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm
Thats sweet!!!

Here's my $20 contribution from about a year and a half ago. I got this at a flea market in Jersey. It too is made in China. I looked at a bunch of machetes that day, most were of the almost non functional variety, the kind with spiked handles and cheap steel blades that arent full tang... This one was mixed in the pile. Its full tang blade has a solid wood grip which is riveted through. It is 440 stainless and is good solid blade, its quite wide and doesnt flex much at all, quite thicker than the Gerber pictured. The wood was a lighter color, so I sanded and stained it then finished with oil and wrapped the leather around it. It was a little slender for me personally but adding the leather took care of that! The sheath is a generic thin cordura thing, though I may yet one day make a leather sheath for it... just hasnt been important yet. I use it regularly on my property for clearing brush my weed eater cant handle and for holding the woods back! The woods tend to wanna sneak up on my yard! :lol:

RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 pm
Good review and pics Brad !!

As you already know, I like that thumb stiple at the front of the hilt...making for a more powerful swing and helping to control the blade through its range of motion.

Rep(s) sent...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm
Thanks!!! I forgot to picture the Gerber I talked about in that thread! :lol:

Yeah Shooter, that little bit of extra grip is helpful! For a chi-com blade, its solidly built and holds an edge. The top of the machete near the end wasnt sharpened when I got it, but I spent a good hour working it down to an edge that could be sharpened.

I'd still like to get the Gerber GatorBack. I've used the one and I like it, its a good tool for sure!

RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 pm
I got the Gerber yesterday!!! I like it, but it needs a much better edge! I keep my other other one sharp enough to peel ribbons of wood from a 2 x 4 with little pressure, just laying the blade on the board and controling the depth just by changing the angle, and again with little or no pressure at all. Thats where I need the Gerber to be!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com

Return to Knives