WINCHESTER

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:58 pm
My Winchester lever action...

WINCHESTER 1894....30WCF...TOP EJECT....CIRCA 1977

The John Browning designed Winchester Model 1894 is perhaps the best known of the Winchester repeating rifles. The Model 94 was chambered for the newly introduced smokeless .30-30 Winchester cartridge, and later, a variety of calibers such as .25-35 WCF, .32-40 WCF, .32 Winchester Special, and the .38-55. Winchester was the first company to manufacture a civilian rifle chambered for the new smokeless propellants, and although delays prevented the .30-30 cartridge from appearing on the shelves until 1895, it remained the first commercially available smokeless powder round for the North American consumer market. Though initially it was too expensive for most shooters, the Model 1894 went on to become one of the best-selling hunting rifles of all timeā€”it has the distinction of being the first sporting/hunting rifle to sell over one million units, ultimately selling over seven million until US production was discontinued in 2006. A 2010 commemorative rifle has been produced to celebrate 200 years since Oliver F. Winchester's birth. The Winchester 94/.30-30 combination is practically synonymous with "deer rifle."

========================================================
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:25 pm
Here's one of my Pop's lever guns...

Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF

It was gifted to him by a ranch hand decades ago. There were several notches in the stock when it was given, but no questions were asked.
"We live in a society of wolves. You do not fight back by creating more sheep."
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm
This special edition is an absolutely beautiful rifle...

Winchester 1894 in .38-55 win
"Chief Crazy Horse Commemorative"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 pm
Some awesome 94's there SNIPER !!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:45 pm
Agreed!

Thank you Sir.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:53 pm
Holy Hell that Crazy Horse is SOME NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 pm
That crazy horse model reminded of a show I ounce show, I can't remember which one, but they showed a WInchester that was owned and used by an Indian and it was decorated alot like Yours, LES. The one thing that used to do was removed alot of the metal parts, like the barrel band and the butt plate. They would take wet rawhide lacing and wrap the barrel and stock and let it dry and take a sheet of wet rawhide and wrap the butt. After it dried, it was as tight as the metal parts they replaced. I guess they turned the metal parts into tools like hide scrapers. Pretty ingenious.

LES, I can't say it enough, you have some great pieces.
--Jim
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:00 pm
Thank you Sir,

These '94s belong to my Pop. I've accumulated a few pieces over the years, but I'm still humbled when I get the opportunity to open his safe. We live in different states now, but evetytime I go back home I offer to clean his collection just so I can get my hands on 'em...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:36 am
I'm a fan and owner of the model 94 as well. It is a solid/tight rifle and with it's history, demands respect. I prefer old guns such as yours that have a story, however, I have the Centennial model. Not much history yet, but getting there. Bought it from a collector auction with original box - never fired. But being the practical person I am, I have no intention of owning a gun that I do not shoot. So in the past year I've probably put 2-3 boxes through it. Just doesn't seem right not to use it for what it was made to do. Lever action is great. Yet my Ithaca 37FL has made me appreciate/enjoy pump action. As lucky as I am, my wife (that's right) got me a beautiful Winchester 1890 (pump), .22short mfg in 1904 this past summer. She is alot of fun and garners much respect (both the wife and 1890). Waiting for Ithaca to get back in that game.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=992
bkmeis
First gun-Ithaca 37 Featherlight 20g
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:40 am
LAZY EYED SNIPER wrote:This special edition is an absolutely beautiful rifle...

Winchester 1894 in .38-55 win
"Chief Crazy Horse Commemorative"

Awesome! There is one here in Tennessee for sale. They also have a Bat Masterson, John Wayne, Annie Oakley, and Constitution model as well.
I honestly believe that if he were alive today, John Wayne would kill Chuck Norris with his bare hands!

Return to Long Guns