Hurrah for Dixie!

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:38 pm
The Southern States made a move early in it's war of independence to take the U.S. Arsenal at Harper's Ferry. The Northern defenders set fire to it destroying many of the firearms in storage, but not the parts and machinery used to make them. The Southern victors took away everything of value, first to Richmond where a factory was set up to produce a southern version of the U.S. 1855 rifle-musket .58. The machinery to produce the shorter U.S. 1855 rifle was sent to Fayetteville, N.C.

The first rifles produced at Fayetteville used parts from Harper's Ferry and more strongly resembled the U.S. rifle with it's "hump back" lock, patch box, (actually storage for a marksman sight) and either steel or brass barrel bands.

Pictured is the second type Fayetteville, CSA rifle that would have used retooled dies from Harper's Ferry and of mostly new construction. This is NOT an original Fayetteville rifle. It's a very well crafted, (from Virginia, USA!) detailed recreation. Most parts are new made, although the band springs, sling swivels, trigger, and lock internals are from an original. There's no way I could afford an original CSA Fayetteville in shooting condition! They start at around $10,000.00 for one in relic condition to well over $45,000.00 for one in nice condition.

About 10,000 rifles were made at Fayetteville of this basic pattern, (types I-VI) making the Fayetteville the most produced Southern rifle of the war. Many more U.S. 1841's and P-56 Enfield's were used by the Southern army, but neither were produced by the South during the war years.

Detail can be seen in the photos, the lockplate is correctly marked, the barrel bears the date, 1862 and has the VP, (view proof) and eagle head. The stock is cartouched with John Burton's initials as per original, and even a tiny letter, "A" stamped forward of the cartouche as per the original he copied.

The Fayetteville would have been issued with a long sabre type pig-sticker, (quickly "lost" due to it's weight and difficulty in carrying it on the march) which mounted on the lug brazed onto the right side of the barrel. Accuracy with a fitted Rapine international style Minie, (Burton-U.S.) bullet and proper powder charge off the bench is about 1.5" at 100yds! It sho-nuff do shoot!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:51 pm
I like that a lot!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:23 am
Thanks Colonel. I've seen a few copies of the later type III & IV also, (more common). Finished bright, dated 1863, or 1864, with the no-hump lockplates and "S" type hammers, but I always liked the type II myself.

Return to Long Guns