Just finished my second Commande build.

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:28 pm

First build on the left, a Remington Rand G.I. center, my latest build on the right. All .45's of course.

I used a full size 80% 7075-T6 alloy frame from Stealth Arms for the first build using their jig in a mill and completed it with parts I had laying around and a few from Sarco. The second is a Stealth Arms 80% Commander frame with some parts I had and the rest hand picked from Brownells and flea bay using the "Phantom" jig, (no mill required). The "Phantom" jig was actually easier to do and fit the slide to. Next up is an "enhanced" full size steel frame for possibly a .460 Rowland or a 10mm. A stainless steel frame Combat Commander is in mind as well as another light weight Commander for a future build, maybe in 9mm or .357 SIG. a 10mm or .400 CorBon isn't out of the question though, depending on what slides and barrels I can scare up within budget.

I never thought I would like an alloy frame, but once built, I question why I wanted a steel frame Commander. Besides, if it was good enough for Jeff Cooper's everyday carry gun, it's good enough for me too. I left both frames as they came from Stealth Arms with just a bead blasted finish adding blued parts instead of stainless for the pleasing contrast. Set up with the "Phantom" jig was easy and work more precise than using a mill with the standard jig. Two holes need drilled, rails cut, and barrel seat cut. Over-all about a three hour process taking my time removing less metal than recommended by Stealth with each pass, but the results were worth it giving me an easy to fit slide. In no way is this a cheap or easy way to build a 1911 or Commander, but you do get what you want, how you want it, right down to the smallest part, (which must be bought individually). Aside from the "Phantom" jig, a GOOD drill press is needed and several specialty tools, stones, files, and a good book of directions to assemble and fit the gun together properly. The carbide cutters in the "Phantom" jig will do steel frames, but at a much slower cut and more hand polishing are required. Considerable hand fitting is required using the better custom parts, but you get what you put into it.
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:21 am
Awesome builds Krag !!

Return to Handguns