Barrel Porting

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:13 am
Just a thought, but I have been considering what to do with my 37 and one option could be to shorten the barrel (plain not rib) from 28 t0 24 inch (the legal UK minimum) to improve handling. Obviously fit a new bead, I'm quite partial to an ivory type and possibly port the barrel prior to a re-blue. I would be grateful for any info on the merits or otherwise of this mod. Has anyone done it? Is it effective? What shape, quantity and angle of port works best? what downsides? I have read in UK clay shooting journals that there is a distinct "DO IT"---"DON'T DO IT" divide. I feel that as the 37 is such a relatively light gun that it might benefit with reduced muzzle flip and felt recoil, I would be grateful for your opinions, gentlemen,
Regards
Roland

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:21 am
I have never been to the UK so I can not speak to the market over there. I can tell you that cutting down and porting the barrel in the United States would negatively affect the resale value of the gun. So much so that you would almost have to give it away. Just curious do you have an Impala?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:12 am
Hi, this gun is a keeper so I am not looking to sell on, I am just curious as to whether it would be a viable mod on a gun that I will use as much as possible, incidentally its a 1946 2 3/4 chamber. I think it would be cool to take a mid 20th century icon and bring it bang up to date!
Regarding the impala, I had a red one for 2 weeks that I bought with my heart open and my eyes closed and lost £3000 on! it was a convertible, with a 6 cylinder engine (wrong probably) and when I happened to open both doors at the same time it almost broke in half! It was a basket case but nonetheless is my absolute favourite car which I do intend to own again (Maybe when the lottery comes in!)
I do enjoy things American, I shoot an Ithaca, Browning and Remington, I ride a Harley 1200 Sportster Custom, I drive a Chevy SUV (OK it was made in Korea) and I play a Fender Telecaster (for fun only!) I have visited across the pond many times and always feel at home in your country

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:12 am
Nice place to be for sure. Would not trade it for any place else for sure. I am in Ohio about two hours north of where the Ithaca model 37 is currently being produced. Here is my pair of 57's.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:47 am
I would leave that '46 just the way it is...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:26 am
I would leave the 46 the way it is also. You could buy a newer 37 (1964 and up) with serial numbers above 855,000 and buy extra barrels for it and do what you want with extra barrels, just keep the one it came with and it still can be stock. Your 46 can only have one barrel, no others will fit. Once you remove an end of a barrel you can never put it back. But then again it is YOUR gun do what you wish. This is coming from a guy that has gold plated, silver plated and copper plated 37s. You have a good Xmas. Thanks Donald.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:33 pm
Unfortunately, if I have my facts straight it is not very easy to "just go buy another one" in England. Between a limited supply of Ithaca model 37's and having to prove reason to purchase another gun the original poster might have to make do with the one he has. While I personally don't like the idea of modifying that gun if he want's a ported barrel on a model 37 he may have to.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:21 am
Thanks guys for your interest and comments, by the way love your pair of 57's cutcher!
It is true that 37's are fairly rare over here, spare barrels probably rarer still but I take your opinions seriously and maybe the '46 will just get a refinish as is and the porting project be put on hold. I could of course look for an old clunker to experiment on (from some other manufacturer of course!)
Best Regards and Christmas Greetings
Roland
PS I forgot to mention I was born on 4th July so maybe my affection for the US was pre-ordained!
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:14 am
Be very careful if you plan to do the job yourself. There are special tools to true the muzzle after cutting it and remember that your barrel will now be at cylinder bore without constriction. As for porting, that is a very tricky project to take on. Do it improperly and you will weaken your barrel to the point that it will blow on the first shot or very soon after. They do have porting jigs and kits that have everything up to and including the drill bits.

If you do prefer to send you gun to a professional, make sure he has the right tools to do the job. I have seen some bad butcher jobs with cut barrels.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:35 am
Thank you for the cautionary note! I have decided that the gun is too valuable, not just financially but personally too, for me to start chopping it about. The general consensus of opinion from forums here and in the UK and from friends and fellow shooters is that shortening and porting will achieve little, cost lots and may in fact turn a great gun into an expensive wall hanger. If it ain't broke don't fix it ! I will wait until the Ithaca SRT becomes available in the UK (who am I kidding) Or.......maybe they will make a ported Deerslayer and I will visit your fine shores with many dollars and try to get one shipped home! You know if some enterprising chap in your neck of the woods could export Ithaca's (new or used) to the UK we Brits would snap them up quicker than you could slam fire a mag-load!
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:58 am
I'm actually rather relieved you decided to leave it be. That is a true classic. I wish I knew somebody who exported, I am sure he would be able to clean up with all of you Brits, scooping them up.

If you want to experiment with the balance, get yourself a little bit of lead flashing, the type roofers use to seal off chimneys.Cut off a bit with shears and fold it into the hole the stock bolt slides into.
make sure you make it fit the hole so it stays put. (and you can pull it out with some pliers)
you might find a little back weight might do the trick. If not, you haven't done a thing to your beautiful classic shotgun.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:50 pm
Top tip there for experimenting in the new year! I will give it a whirl and report back as and when.
You would think that with the "special relationship" between our countries, our histories and common language it would be a simple job to trade goods across the pond? Maybe someone on this fine forum will have the answer!
Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to you and yours and a safe and prosperous New year
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:55 pm
That is an old Skeet shooter's trick. Doesn't take much, an ounce or two. You'll be amazed at how much it will shift the center of gravity and the swing.

When it comes to exports, almost any two countries may as well be Mars and Venus. The red tape is mind bending. I hope you can check out a new one, they do the old ones justice.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:24 am
Gentlemen, A confession, Having misread the serial numbers page on the Ithaca company website, I find that my '46 is in fact a '65. I re-looked at the info as I was concerned that the barrel was not numbered. Of course being a '65 allows interchangeable barrels so I may look for a wrecker to donate another barrel. This in no way reflects my enjoyment of this gun, or its value to me-just gives me options - Result!
PS tried the weight trick in the stock, feels good at home, time to get out on the range! Now, if it will just stop raining.............
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:43 pm
impala59 wrote:Gentlemen, A confession, Having misread the serial numbers page on the Ithaca company website, I find that my '46 is in fact a '65. I re-looked at the info as I was concerned that the barrel was not numbered. Of course being a '65 allows interchangeable barrels so I may look for a wrecker to donate another barrel. This in no way reflects my enjoyment of this gun, or its value to me-just gives me options - Result!
PS tried the weight trick in the stock, feels good at home, time to get out on the range! Now, if it will just stop raining.............

Good luck! Make sure you check the head space on your donor barrel. 99% of the time it is OK, but that 1%.....
You can use an empty brass shell is a GO gauge, but you'll need to find somebody with a NOGO gauge to check.

Throwing the center of the gun back a few inches can make a huge difference. It doesn't take much.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:00 am
Roger that! Just wait now for perfect barrel to materialise from the ether! Thanks for ongoing tips and support, much appreciated
Regards
Roland
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:21 am
impala59 wrote:Roger that! Just wait now for perfect barrel to materialise from the ether! Thanks for ongoing tips and support, much appreciated
Regards
Roland

You're very welcome, always glad to help!
--Jim

Return to Ithaca Model 37