Barrel Porting

Moderator: ripjack13

Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:58 am
I'm actually rather relieved you decided to leave it be. That is a true classic. I wish I knew somebody who exported, I am sure he would be able to clean up with all of you Brits, scooping them up.

If you want to experiment with the balance, get yourself a little bit of lead flashing, the type roofers use to seal off chimneys.Cut off a bit with shears and fold it into the hole the stock bolt slides into.
make sure you make it fit the hole so it stays put. (and you can pull it out with some pliers)
you might find a little back weight might do the trick. If not, you haven't done a thing to your beautiful classic shotgun.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:50 pm
Top tip there for experimenting in the new year! I will give it a whirl and report back as and when.
You would think that with the "special relationship" between our countries, our histories and common language it would be a simple job to trade goods across the pond? Maybe someone on this fine forum will have the answer!
Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to you and yours and a safe and prosperous New year
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:55 pm
That is an old Skeet shooter's trick. Doesn't take much, an ounce or two. You'll be amazed at how much it will shift the center of gravity and the swing.

When it comes to exports, almost any two countries may as well be Mars and Venus. The red tape is mind bending. I hope you can check out a new one, they do the old ones justice.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:24 am
Gentlemen, A confession, Having misread the serial numbers page on the Ithaca company website, I find that my '46 is in fact a '65. I re-looked at the info as I was concerned that the barrel was not numbered. Of course being a '65 allows interchangeable barrels so I may look for a wrecker to donate another barrel. This in no way reflects my enjoyment of this gun, or its value to me-just gives me options - Result!
PS tried the weight trick in the stock, feels good at home, time to get out on the range! Now, if it will just stop raining.............
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:43 pm
impala59 wrote:Gentlemen, A confession, Having misread the serial numbers page on the Ithaca company website, I find that my '46 is in fact a '65. I re-looked at the info as I was concerned that the barrel was not numbered. Of course being a '65 allows interchangeable barrels so I may look for a wrecker to donate another barrel. This in no way reflects my enjoyment of this gun, or its value to me-just gives me options - Result!
PS tried the weight trick in the stock, feels good at home, time to get out on the range! Now, if it will just stop raining.............

Good luck! Make sure you check the head space on your donor barrel. 99% of the time it is OK, but that 1%.....
You can use an empty brass shell is a GO gauge, but you'll need to find somebody with a NOGO gauge to check.

Throwing the center of the gun back a few inches can make a huge difference. It doesn't take much.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:00 am
Roger that! Just wait now for perfect barrel to materialise from the ether! Thanks for ongoing tips and support, much appreciated
Regards
Roland
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:21 am
impala59 wrote:Roger that! Just wait now for perfect barrel to materialise from the ether! Thanks for ongoing tips and support, much appreciated
Regards
Roland

You're very welcome, always glad to help!
--Jim

Return to Ithaca Model 37