Model 37 Trench Gun

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:54 pm
I own a Model 37 trench gun manufactured in 1970, SN 3711207XX. It has a parkerized finish, plain walnut stock, handguard with 1917 bayonet mount, and it has no US military markings. Someone told me that he thought it was a "contract gun" made for the South Vietnamese government.

Can anyone give me some information on this gun and what it's value may be?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:11 am
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Cactus Kid !!

http://ithacagunrepair.com/IGSN/IGSN.html

http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf

Hope this helps...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:02 pm
Thanks Shooter. I've already checked those websites and that's how I found out the year of manufacture. I've done some research and I know that Ithaca made parkerized riot guns for commercial sale, but I can't find any reference to commercially made M37 trench guns. Could these have been a special order for a police dept. or prison, although I'm not sure why they would need a bayonet mount for police or prison duty? I've written to Ithaca, but haven't received a reply yet. This gun is in like-new condition, and I have a new condition Gen Cut Vietnam era M1917 bayonet to compliment it. Any information that anyone can give me as to this gun and it's value would be greatly appreciated.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:00 pm
Sure would like to see some pictures while WE wait for that answer...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:00 am
Ithaca sold "trench guns" over the counter.
basically the only thing that separates a riot gun and a trench gun is the heat shield.
Ithaca didn't make heat shields , they bought them off a military supplier.
so a lot of riot guns were made into trench guns and sold over the counter or 3rd party.

these are not the same as a military purchased trench gun .
a "war gun" was built to military specs and there were small differences between them and civilian models.

theres not much info out there on contract guns for Vietnam other then some references to there being some.if I had to guess any guns sent to south Vietnam would have been converted civilian models
Vietnam war guns for the US carried their own SN block and proof marks they were also all built in 1963

Return to Ithaca Model 37