Do you pattern for HD?

Anything and everything related to tactical and home defense use of firearms can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:51 pm
Folks, what do you think?

Do you pattern a load, or different loads to see what you like best from your gun? What ranges do you practice at?

My daughter and I set up correction targets to see what kind of patterns we get, and we have tested a number of different loads. We set up stations at 7, 10, and 25 yards most often.

After getting a good idea of the pattern, we'll use clays from 10 to 12 yards.

Our shotguns are .410, and two 12 ga. and the loads are 00 bucks from low recoil LE ammo to high speed full power off the shelf from WalMart.
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:08 am
Absolutely...you have to pattern you shotgun with the loads you are going to use...whether it be for hunting or self-defense.

There's an outdoor range called Wicens Farm that I go to...I set up a frame with a pattern target at 10-15-20 yards to see how the pellets from my favorite loads hit. Trigger time is always informative.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:15 am
Patterning for a field/sport gun, yes.

Patterning for a HD gun, no. The ranges you will be shooting at within the home are so close I don't believe that it's necessary. If your target is at a range that you'd be concerned about the pattern, then the City/State prosecuter will be asking was your life really in danger.

Also, as a side note, my primary HD gun is an old (but very reliable) Mossy 8 shot pump. Remember, you WILL LOSE the gun you shoot in any defence situation to the police, most likely to never be seen again. Do you really want to lose one of your prize $$ guns, or a beater you don't care about.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 am
I hear what youre sayin about being that close, but for instance; some folks may have shots that are 30' away, perhaps the longest shot through a hall. I've seen some crazy patterns at 10 yards. Stray pellets and stuff. Knowing that the shooter is responsible for every pellet, I think some of the patterns are unacceptable.
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 am
ABSOLUTLY!

The responsibility and liability in using any firearm for protection are enormous. I believe in this area there are things that MUST happen and patterning a shotgun that is going to be kept for defensive purposes is paramount. You sight in your handgun or rifle don't you?

For me, I have found the Federal Tactical 00 Buckshot (LE132 00) to be absolutely amazing. The pattern below is out of a 14-inch MOD barrel at 50-feet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:47 am
That is a good pattern from that load at 50 ft.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 pm
It's the load that is AMAZING. It patterens like that out of every CYL bore shotgun I've shot it through. I was kinda supprised with the short MOD choked gun as tighter chokes seem to be wosre for the load. Have put that same load through other MOD and FULL choked guns and it goes all over the place. One of the best patterns was from a cut-down 1926 vintage 97 winchester. Federal really designed that load for the LE community and to be shot through CYL bore guns. The ammo is not that expensive when you start looking at 00 Buck loads. I'm getting it from ammoman.com for $199 shipped for 250 rounds. First order I split with a buddy as I didn't want to make that big of a purchase... after that its been all for ME!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:09 pm
That really is a great pattern at that range and from a 14 inch barrel!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:19 am
I have patterned loads through many different shotguns over the years!
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:20 pm
Think of it this way. When you buy a rifle or pistol, you test the wights, right? you want to make sure they are accurate and you can hit what you are pointing at right? ad you would test it at various ranges, right? Well, the same thing applies to a shotgun. you want to know where the pellets go and so you test the gun's pattern at various lengths.
--Jim

Return to Tactical And Home Defense