Defender M37 For LE/

Anything and everything related to law enforcement and military can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 pm
Are any of the members in LE and are you using the Defender on duty? Would like to hear what accessories you are using on the 18.5 5 shot version. Especially tactical lights and mounts.
Making a Difference For Wildlife, One Acre At A Time

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 pm
I'm not aware of any department using the modern Defender. The issue is probally lack of Armorer support and the fact that the Defender has a fixed/welded barrel.

M37 D.S.'s were insanely popular in the LE arena decades ago with L.A.P.D. being the most known of the users. For whatever reason, the east and west coasts seemed to have the biggest distribution of 37's while they remained fairly rare in the midwest.

It is my goal to go sit down with the Sandusky folks for a few days and have them show me the ins and outs of the m37. Maybe build an armorer program from that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 am
Thanks Thren68, I will be using the M37 for our LE training. The fixed barrel is no issue for us and we have found barrel mounts for the lights and accessories that work well but took a while. Still may change the combinations. I would totally support an armorer program and will meet with them at the SHOT show to discuss. It still is a warhorse.
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 am
Trenchgun wrote:Thanks Thren68, I will be using the M37 for our LE training. The fixed barrel is no issue for us and we have found barrel mounts for the lights and accessories that work well but took a while. Still may change the combinations. I would totally support an armorer program and will meet with them at the SHOT show to discuss. It still is a warhorse.

One of the things I have suggested was to drill and tap the receiver like a DS so you can add in a rail. or at least make it an option.
--Jim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 pm
Hi Jim, the top of my Defender is drilled and tapped with 4 screws so I guess they heard your suggestions.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 am
A stupid guy had drilled 3 or 4 holes in the left side of the receiver of my Deerslayer to set up a homemade mount. Such a silly boy, I will close it immediately. Ruined the complete collector value of the gun with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 pm
It may have been he bought it when they did not drill and tap and many years ago the scope mount required drilling the side, which I did not do on mine. You still have a great gun though.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Many folks do not know that many rear sights on Deer Slayers have notches in the base allowing the user to mount rings for a long eye relief scope.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:21 am
Germanfritze wrote:A stupid guy had drilled 3 or 4 holes in the left side of the receiver of my Deerslayer to set up a homemade mount. Such a silly boy, I will close it immediately. Ruined the complete collector value of the gun with it.

OUCH! that hurts. THis is why I counsel customers to think very very very carefully before doing anything radical with one of their guns. I have an auto-5 with the exact same deal. I love the gun, but it is worth diddly.
--Jim
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 am
Trenchgun wrote:Hi Jim, the top of my Defender is drilled and tapped with 4 screws so I guess they heard your suggestions.

I have to say Trench, that they have taken the time to listen to every one of my suggestions. Whether or not they use it, is another matter, but I have never been dismissed. Another reason why I am so fond of these guys.
--Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:27 pm
That is good that they listen to thier customers, I'm going to stop in at the SHOT show and see some of the faces to go with the names. People should realize the word "drill" and guns, normally does not go together. Have a wonderful Christmas and may God himself bless you and your family.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:23 pm
Trenchgun wrote:That is good that they listen to thier customers, I'm going to stop in at the SHOT show and see some of the faces to go with the names. People should realize the word "drill" and guns, normally does not go together. Have a wonderful Christmas and may God himself bless you and your family.

Same for you trench, it's been a pleasure to meet you this year.

And please give Mike and Joe a big wet one for me.
--Jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 pm
I think I'll do the handshake route, less chance of having to defend myself. thanks.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 am
Trenchgun wrote:I think I'll do the handshake route, less chance of having to defend myself. thanks.

LOL, yea, that wouldn't go over well would it? They keep asking me if I am going out and I just can't carve out enough time to make the trip. I'd go just to meet those guys. They've done alot of favors for me, above and beyond.
--Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:31 pm
Been going to SHOT for many years, then had a break for a few with the conservation side but now getting back there. Always good to see old friends and meet new ones. Happy New year to you and your family!
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:49 pm
Happy New Year, Trench, good to see you. I know you'll have a great time, be sure to take lots of pictures and tell us all about your travels through the vendors for us "poor souls" who stay behind. heh
--Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 pm
Good news from the SHOT show, got to meet the folks at Ithaca and they are working on an armorer class. BEST news, the M37 in 16 guage will be avialable for 2013, and the guys at the head shed have a list of accessories for the Defender for LE use. Boom, well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm
To all, I met with Ithaca at the SHOT show, they now have a list of LE suggested accessories for the LE Defender, available by contacting Ithaca service, and they will provide an armourer class both at the factory and in the field if there are enough Defenders in use. Good news all the way around, and great folks to talk to. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:57 pm
To all who may use the Defender for LE work, it just went through a week of shooting slugs from 50 yards and outshot all other brands. Consistent groups of less than 2 inches were the norm on the targets and nothing else came close. Had an issue with the pump handle coming loose from the arm and the factory has it now. Cops are not easy on guns, any gun. ;)

Return to Law Enforcement And Military