Model 1911A

Anything and everything related to law enforcement and military can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:35 am
I was issued my first 1911A in the 50s by the Army when I was in Korea, and it was an Ithaca. I have owned and shot the 1911 ever since then.
Had a 30 year Law Enforcement Career which I carried a revolver on duty as that what was the standard for 90% of LE at that time. Alot of the time in plain clothes carrried a 1911. Also have been retired for 23 years.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:13 am
Thank you for your service, it is greatly appreciated! Do you have any pictures of your 1911?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:13 am
Indeed, Thank You for your service both in the military and as an LEO!!!

There is a lot of history associated with the 1911, and so many manufacturers were making them to keep up with the demand by the military, including Ithaca! Its truly fascinating to me how a 100 year old design has endured and remains so popular and functional virtually unchanged!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:00 pm
Wow...thank you for your service in both areas...being a cop was probably more dangerous, huh?! ;)

So, lets see them firearms when you get a chance....did you buy your service revolver when you retired ? ( Most LEO's have that option here in Pennsylvania. )

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 pm
No I didn't buy it, we were issued S&W 686s with 4" barrels, nice guns. I have a pre model 27 S&W with a 5" barrel, I prefer the N frame to the L frame. My old Smith is from the late 40s and I bought it from the original owner and the original box of shells still had 38 rounds of ammo in it. Still shoot it at times, but most of my revolver shooting is with single actions.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:06 pm
popplecop wrote:No I didn't buy it, we were issued S&W 686s with 4" barrels, nice guns. I have a pre model 27 S&W with a 5" barrel, I prefer the N frame to the L frame. My old Smith is from the late 40s and I bought it from the original owner and the original box of shells still had 38 rounds of ammo in it. Still shoot it at times, but most of my revolver shooting is with single actions.

Now yer talkin' !!...

What single action revolvers do you own ?! I have a third gen Colt SAA in .45Colt and a Ruger Bisley Vaquero SA in .357Magnum.

...and the rigs to wear 'em...

==================================================================

And if you you want to stay on topic...here's a few 1911a1's

Colt Gold Cup National Match...Auto Ordnance WWII copy....Para Ordnance P12-45

Return to Law Enforcement And Military