Any dove hunters out there?

Anything and everything related to hunting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm
I've never been a super serious dove hunter. But I'm looking to ramp it up this year. I'm going to get me a mojo decoy and get serious about it. I'd love to hear any tips or advise from y'all. How do you go about bringing down those grey rockets?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:27 am
Are there no dove hunters out there? Just a couple weeks to go, I'm excited!

Now which gun.............
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:52 pm
Only went out few times with a friend that had property in upstate PA...

I used my Stoeger Uplander side by side 12 gauge. My friend passed a few years ago...and my interest went by the wayside.

Wish ya luck on the upcoming season...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:36 pm
Thanks shooter. You should think about taking it up again. It can bea lot of fun.

As far as eating them, well if you cook them correctly try can be great. If yet aren't just right, they ain't much count.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:08 am
Not many doves around these parts, Col.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 pm
So far it's not looking good here yet. Hopefully more will come down before the season opens.
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:04 am
Colonel26 wrote:So far it's not looking good here yet. Hopefully more will come down before the season opens.

Col, I can't speak for Dove Hunting specifically, but for most bird hunting, if you really want to do some serious action, you need to have a good dog handy. Plus it is alot of fun to hunt wit ha dog. Short of that, get yourself a good call and practice using it. Unless of course it is legal to use an electronic call in your area, then I'd say to get one of those!
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 pm
Well here there are two ways of hunting them. One is pass shooting as te fly in and out of the feeding and roosting areas, and the other is jump shooting them (again in their feeding and roosting areas).

This year we are using a mojo decoy. If you haven't seen one google it and watch some videos! I've been talking to some serious dove hunters I know in other parts of the country and these things are amazing according to them.

The problem with numbers this year is that we are having September weather in Aug. The migratory doves usually move south with the coming of a new cold front. So every time we get another cold front the doves move out and season doesn't start until sept. first.

Raven, you're right a good retrieving dog would be a help. That is if I was any better at hitting them. The national average according to ammo companies is 3 shots per dove. I wish I was that good.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm
I've kinda given up on hunting the last couple of years, Colonel.
Found out that I'd rather shoot at them clays - get to do more shooting, and you don't have to worry about cleaning them! :lol:
But one of my fond memories is of dove hunting in the Platte river valley in Colo. back in the '70's. That was mostly jump shooting.
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 am
Well, I don't have a retriever, but she does get her nose on anything that lands on the ground. I haven't lost one yet although there was this one I just winged. She found it and immediately chewed the snot out of it. That one stayed put.
--Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:19 am
We do a lot of wildlife habitat work here on the farm, for quail and dove, deer and turkey and the dove have come back in great numbers. I don't jump shoot, we hunt the planted fields and have pretty good success. Most people overchoke for doves, I shoot O in the top barrel and .05 in the botton for the second shot, with 1 once loads, #8. they are a lot of fun. If I use a single barrel gun, I use 0 choke size. Its a shame most people only hunt them the first 10 days of the season then seem to forget them. Habitat work is the key to good populations of all game.
Making a Difference For Wildlife, One Acre At A Time

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm
Trenchgun that's interesting. What distances are you shooting out there? I ask because by this time of year here in ky, even with decoys they are spooky. This time of the season our shots get out past 40 yards. We typically go to modified or full and 6 shot to get all the distance we can. I just worry that 8's wouldn't have the energy we'd need at range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:22 pm
Most of my shots are 30 yards and under, your right to swith to a larger shot at 40 to 50, but I use a Lt. Mod and then modified with 7.5. , light mod in the semi auto or pump. With the 16 gauge, number 6 was my go to for all but white rabbits. The pattern is max at 30 to 35 yards then begins to open up. Might be a little too much choke at full but your confidence in the combo is important. Try shooting a 1 gallon water bottle (old milk container) at 40, draw a black circle 6 inches in diameter and see what the difference is. You can use paper but I like the splash.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:59 pm
I have a model 37 20 gauge marked modified, but it patterns it like a light mod. I'm thinking at those 7.5's 1 oz ought to be the ticket out to 45 yards or so. The 16's at that distance and a little further were like lightening.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm
Oh, that sounds like a fun combo, and if it is patterning ltmod, it is a great wing gun. Don't have a 20 pump yet, that may be the Christmas wish.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 am
Funny thing, Col, my Dad's 20 is marked modified as well but patterns more like a light full.
Doesn't bother me much though, I just let them fly out a little bit farther before I take a shot.
I was thinking of putting on a ploy-choke, but being my Dad's gun, I won't mess with it. I did put fresh furniture on it so I could modify the stock, but I still have all the original parts. Being a '57, replacing the barrel is all but impractical. So I'll leave it be. Besides, using either the Fiocchi golden Pheasant with the nickel plated shot or the Winchester XX with the copper plated shot, It shoots like a 12, so the tighter pattern isn't really a net negative.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 pm
Raven, I have 3 20 gauges. The 1948 was my dad's. Out began life as a 28 inch modified and some bird hunter years ago cut it down to 26 inches, cyl bore. It's still a great quail and rabbit gun out to 35 yards or so work good loads.

The 1951 has a short stock, looks to be factory, and a 28 inch modified. It patterns a sure enough modified, maybe a bit tighter by todays standards.

The 1952 is also a 28 inch modified. The last time I patterned it, depending on who you asked, shoot a right imp cyl or loose modified. Truth be told it's probably the most versatile of the bunch. Wide enough for quail and tight enough for doves at reasonable ranges. I'm going to pick up some of those Fiocochi 1 oz 7.5's and try her out. I predict she'll be alright.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:58 pm
Colonel26 wrote:Raven, I have 3 20 gauges. The 1948 was my dad's. Out began life as a 28 inch modified and some bird hunter years ago cut it down to 26 inches, cyl bore. It's still a great quail and rabbit gun out to 35 yards or so work good loads.

The 1951 has a short stock, looks to be factory, and a 28 inch modified. It patterns a sure enough modified, maybe a bit tighter by todays standards.

The 1952 is also a 28 inch modified. The last time I patterned it, depending on who you asked, shoot a right imp cyl or loose modified. Truth be told it's probably the most versatile of the bunch. Wide enough for quail and tight enough for doves at reasonable ranges. I'm going to pick up some of those Fiocochi 1 oz 7.5's and try her out. I predict she'll be alright.

Now that is one bodacious collection Col!!
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 pm
Aw shucks. They're joined by a 1952 12 gauge 30 inch full choke and a 1974 12 gauge vr imp cyl 26 inch.

But now that pales in comparison to your fine collection I know. All that talk between you and BPskeeter about those fine old doubles has really flung a craving on me.

So many guns, so little time and money.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 am
Thanks, Col, the Mrs says it is "TOO LARGE". I say it is "NOT LARGE ENOUGH". I have to say, though I do have a large appreciation for old sub gauges, though. They tend to be alot more rare and in better condition. Just something special about them. I also just KNOW that you will get your hands on a gorgeous old Ithaca double sooner rather than later and it will be a real honey.
And it will be an absolute blast to shoot, too.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 am
If there is a better bird for a 28ga it must be a woodcock. I've never hunted woodcock but when I lived in Arizona I chased them a lot. That's where I learned to appreciate the 28ga. I bought a Ruger O/U and started shooting a lot. I say a lot because there were a lot of targets and your limit was 10 birds a day. It usually took me two boxes of shells to get my limit, but, hey, some of the 12ga guys didn't do that well.

Best shootin' I ever had was at a dairy farm near Phoenix. We'd just stand with our back to the cows and shoot at incoming doves. They'd come in so fast that a dozen doves would pass overhead before you could reload and get shooting again. Usually took 45 minutes to get 100 birds with 10 shooters.

The farmer sold his farm to a real estate developer so that ended a great time. Had to go jump shoot them in the desert. Again, that was fun also. The dairy farm was almost all incoming shots. The desert would offer many different shots.

I don't live in Arizona anymore but I have often thought I'd like to go back and try some of that rapid-fire shooting again.

Just another thought: Everywhere I read that mourning doves migrate out at the first sign of cold weather. I live in central Oregon and there is snow on the ground and doves roosting in juniper trees right now. Is this just an Oregon thing? Do the doves stay around in your neighborhood? Also, do you have the Eurasian Collared Doves in your area yet? Oregon has declared them "feral" and you can shoot them anytime.

Sorry for rambling. Got a little nostalgic.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 am
i think doves are kinda like waterfowl

meaning while most migrate some will stay local if they have food/water/shelter.

that being said , i have not seen any mass flights of doves since the late 70s in my parts .
but you can see pairs of doves through most of the state most any time of the year readily

Return to Hunting