916T - 37/870 love child?

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:13 am
Gentlemen, I have acquired for very little money (about $70 US ) a Smith & Wesson 916T which was broken (failure to load/cycle) The repair was fairly simple, the carrier spring, which due to US export legislation is unavailable in the UK. I modified by using a drift pin and blade spring which has given me a nice smooth load gate operation and now all is working satisfactorily.

Anyway the reason for posting here is the fact that this shotgun seems to share features of the Mod 37 particularly in the takedown (this gun has the updated "o"barrel from the recall) single action bar and steel receiver, but also seems reminiscent of the Remington 870 in the trigger group and bolt. Also it has a top tang safety a-la Browning/Mossberg.

It seems that S+W have disowned this shotgun, but I quite like it (I take in orphans and strays!)and would be grateful if its Ithaca connection could be confirmed (or denied!) It is 27" vent rib, mod choke and feels like a skeet gun to me, a bit heavy but points well. As it has a plain stock and fore-end I though that it would give me an opportunity to try some checkering, oil finishing etc. something I have been loath to try on any of my other guns, but at this price I can afford to experiment ( I would appreciate guidance on basic set of checkering tools)

Regards
Roland
Attachments
s+w 1.JPG
s+w 1.JPG (71.77 KiB) Viewed 16793 times
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:33 am
Can't help you with your question...but I'm sure some member here will know the answer...standby !!
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:35 am
I don't much about them except that it was S&W's first attempt to get into the shotgun market. It shares no lineage with Ithaca, but was derived from a spanish shotgun design which I do believe was from High Standard, but don't quote me. I do know the quality on them varied widely and while some will never break, others will do nothing but. The "T" is for takedown, BTW.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:39 pm
Thanks for that Jim, my own research identified it as take down as opposed to 916A fixed barrel and also confirms what you say about reliability, the barrels were changed in in a recall as some apparently exploded! My initial interest was, as I stated earlier the similarity of take down to the Model 37 with a 90 degree barrel rotate after clockwise turns on the mag cap to disengage the lug pin. Single action bar also piqued my interest. It does have some odd (to me) features like the bolt moves uphill to battery up a gentle slope ?! This will never be a favourite gun but its an interesting curio nonetheless. It cost little and works fine so win win.
Thanks again for your time and input
Roland
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:50 pm
I really don't know that much about them, glad I could help. You do have an interesting curio that didn't cost you much at all. I think those odd ducks make the world go round.

I wonder why the barrels blew. Too thin? bad metal?
You think they would have proofed one or two.
--Jim

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting