MOD 37 Stock screw hole repair

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:49 pm
Hey, recently bought a 1953 Mod 37 20 ga. from the local gun store. It was gritty, sticky, and obviously had been used and ignored. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed everything and now it is as smooth as silk. However, since no good deed goes unpunished, when I was putting the butt plate back on, one of the screws went loose on me. Ordinarily, I'd stick a matchstick in there with some gorilla glue and call it good, but this shotgun deserves that I at least ask if there's a better way. Any ideas? Maybe find a hardwood or walnut dowel? Do they even come that small? {I am not a woodworker, but think I can handle this}. Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:06 am
You could try Numrich Gun Parts for that remedy...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:59 pm
Your local big box home improvement store should sell some hard wood dowels. You may have to sand it down a bit to make it small enough.
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:40 am
Some good hardware stores sell walnut dowels. Cut a piece off, insert it into a drill/drill press and sand it to fit exactly. Use good hide glue wait 24 hours, cut it as flush as you can and then sand it flat. You'll be amazed at how good it will look. Then drill a new hole and you'll be good to go.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:50 pm
I will do that. Really happy with this shotgun. Even though is was neglected, it cleaned up great and you can see how well the bluing and woodwork was done. Plus, the action is a pleasure.
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:06 pm
Good Luck with it! That is why you see so many of them. No matter what they have been put through, they can be repaired worked, refinished, you name it and still work like a dream.
Not much you can't fix on that thing,
--Jim

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting