Replacement butt stock for M37

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:11 pm
I inherited a model 37 12 gauge from my grandfather. It is a 1956 vintage and in good shape. I would like to keep it and use it but my grandfather had shortened the butt stock to fit him and I need it longer. Are the replacement stocks for Model 37's all the same and would a new one fit the old timer, which is also a Featherlight?

What stock companies would you recommend dealing with for a replacement?

Also, it has a 30 inch full full choke barrel and I was thinking about getting it chopped to 28 or even 26 inches and having interchangeable chokes installed........... does anyone see any problems with doing this?

Thanks in advance!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:33 pm
there are stocks around .
several company's make replacement stocks and you can even get them from Ithaca.
any 12g m37 stock will fit it.

that said if you are looking for the correct stock for a 56 12g.that narrows what is available.
in this case you would be looking for an older one with hand cut checkering specifically one from around 45-57.
one like that your best bet is watching a place like ebay.
it may take awhile to find one and if one does show up ,,expect to compete for it price wise.

as for the barrel and tubes ..
foremost I have to say that the barrel on that gun is custom matched to the receiver .
and while you can pay to have another fitted it will always be a "replacement" as the SNs won't match.
tubes can be installed in cases but because of ithacas lightweight barrels its a hit or miss proposition.
you must weigh out if its worth the risk

anything done to the barrel will effect the guns value ,
the least thing you could do is to just have the choke opened up to something more useable.
if having adjustable choke is that important the next best option and time correct thing would be a polychoke

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:38 pm
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I honestly do not care if it has interchangeable chokes, it was just a thought. Perhaps I should just get it opened up to modified and call it good. Only plan to use it for puddle jumping and pass shooting mallards on the ponds on our farm.

Thanks again.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm
As twistedoak has stated...Ithaca makes replacement stocks...as does Boyds.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:02 pm
Thanks............. now I have to see if any of them will ship to Canada.

Cheers!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:49 pm
you could try ron sharp .
I don't have his # off hand , but he is in Canada and has a lot of stock parts from old ithaca

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting