Need help with SKB

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:38 pm
I inherited a SKB from my father. Looks great but hasn't been fired in about 40 years. Gave it a quick clean and took it out a couple weeks ago. All those years in the gun cabinet have turned it into a single shot. It won't cycle/eject except by manually. Checked friction ring, no joy. Any ideas? TIA

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:19 pm
What model and gauge is it?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:11 am
Donald wrote:What model and gauge is it?

Oops, left that out. It's 12 gauge model 300, recoil operated

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 am
There could be a few reasons that it won't cycle. Some times (especially years ago) people used the wrong oil to lube a gun. If it sat for years the oil turns gummy and will jam parts. Maybe a more thorough cleaning will help. Since it is a spring recoil system, maybe the spring has been weakened. Make very sure the gun is unloaded and nothing in either the chamber or the mag and press down on the barrel. It should go down and lock open the bolt and then return to the forward position. There are buffers in your gun and should be looked at by a knowledgeable gunsmith, but usually they won't stop the gun from cycling. There is a way of adjusting rings on you spring tube that can change cycling, but only adjust when knowing what you are doing. You can buy instructions on places like ebay. ( a 900 has the same system and internal parts). You could try a different ammo. If you are using a light load, try a field load. Make sure that your butt stock is tight to your receiver as if it is loose it will crack you stock. If you need more advise or parts there is guy in Ontario Canada that is an expert and has tons of parts. He is not on the net and you can only reach him by phone. I can give you his number privately if you wish. Hope you "get her going" it is a good gun. Donald

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:32 pm
If I have my facts straight there is an adjustment on the gun for heavy and light loads. I agree with a good through cleaning (pull the trigger group, bolt ect.). Follow by a LIGHT oiling.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:43 pm
Over on another forum, I also suggested he could give Les H. a call.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 pm
drcook wrote:Over on another forum, I also suggested he could give Les H. a call.

Yep, thanks for the suggestion. If nothing else works I'll give him a holler. First I'm going to do a thorough cleaning, check the rings and see what happens. Kinda busy so it'll be a couple weeks before I can test it out again but I'll report back when I do.

Thanks for the replies everyone
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:11 am
Let us know how those solutions works out for you Sharkman...!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:54 am
Success! Broke it down, cleaned it again with special attention to the recoil spring and tube. Scrubbed those thoroughly. Made sure the friction ring and brake shoe were in the proper position. Ran half a box of shells through it yesterday, works great now
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:04 pm
Good news...thanks for the update !

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting