37 Waterfowler Issue - Please Help

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 pm
I had a problem this weekend with my 37 Waterfowler and sent an email to Ithaca and never got a response. That was disappointing in itself but I digress.

This was only the third time I used this gun all season, what happened is:
- The pump action would not lock into position.
- I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. It would not even engage the firing pin.
- When I did get it to fire after multiple tries, it would not eject the shell or feed another into the chamber.

Here is the kicker, after frustration of multiple missed shooting opportunities, I switched from Hevi-Metal loads to Winchester and the problems went away.

Not sure if you know this but HM shells are pretty high quality and not sure why they wouldn't work in my 37. I even tried super cheap $7 low brass shells and they worked fine. Is there an issue with my gun or is it just the shells and I should stop using them? It seems kind of strange why a brand of shell would not work when it is a 12 gauge hull. The easy answer is to switch shells but for this expensive of a gun I would like to know what is wrong with it and why all 12 gauge loads don't work.

Thoughts?
Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 pm
I had the very same thing happen to one of my 37s, just a couple of weeks ago. After I worked the loaded shell out, I tried a different brand and it work great. I had a close look at the problem shell and I could see a few new marks on it. I took the loaded shell and put it through my Mec sizer I use for reloads and the shell worked fine, even though it was not a reload. I think that maybe I got a bad batch and they were not sized very well. Problem solved. Maybe you have the same problem. Donald

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 am
I have heard of some firearms being fussy about shells,but never to the extent of yours.

The Ithaca is chambered for 3 inch shells.By any chance were the HM shells you used 3 1/2 inch instead of 3 inch?Just a thought.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:56 pm
I know it is frustrating not getting a quick answer but the Ithaca Gun company is still relatively small. I believe most of the folks that could of answered your question are most likely at the SHOT show right now.
.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:47 pm
28 gauge wrote:I have heard of some firearms being fussy about shells,but never to the extent of yours.

The Ithaca is chambered for 3 inch shells.By any chance were the HM shells you used 3 1/2 inch instead of 3 inch?Just a thought.

Nope, they were three. I don't even own 3 1/2" shells.
.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:50 pm
1977cutcher wrote:I know it is frustrating not getting a quick answer but the Ithaca Gun company is still relatively small. I believe most of the folks that could of answered your question are most likely at the SHOT show right now.

I didn't know there was a show. The email I sent was to the person whose name was on the business card from a warranty repairs. Then again, its been three business days and probably an out of office notice would be appropriate.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:42 am
Gandalf wrote:
28 gauge wrote:I have heard of some firearms being fussy about shells,but never to the extent of yours.

Nope, they were three. I don't even own 3 1/2" shells.

Was just a thought.

Thats a real head scratcher,to be that much difference in how the gun functions from one brand of ammunition to another. :)

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting